Special Needs

Sending a kid who can't talk to pre-K is hard

We are on day 2 of preschool and I think he's loving it.  Well that's what I think - he's not crying when he goes or when he comes back - so I take that as a good sign.  So far when I have asked him what they did at school he has signed music.  And that's about all I've gotten. 

My note the first day just told me what he ate and if he went to the potty and gave him a smiley face.  Nothing really about his behavior or anything.  I guess they'll tell me if he's pinching or petting girls hair.  I don't know - I guess I'm going to have to go and visit the classroom sometime soon just so I can watch him and see how he's doing with other kids.  I guess that's what I wonder about.  My guy hasn't really been around little kids other than his sister so I just wonder. 

Anyone else left wondering how their SN kids are doing in preschool?  Its hard when you can't communicate with your little guy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Sending a kid who can't talk to pre-K is hard

• Yes, it is very tough. I feel like I'm inteviewing his teacher everyday, but I want to know if he ate enough, if he napped, if there were any problems, etc. DS is starting to talk, but I still can't get any info out of him. I would take it as a good sign if he's not crying when you leave him. My little guy is having a hard time getting back into the swing of going to school!
  • Yes! It is hard. DD isn't signing or talking, so I have to rely on the teachers. She just started a new school last week and is only going 1 day, which is a whole other post. She seemed ok when I picked her up last week and the teacher said she did good. It is hard.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear ya. I don't do pickups (DH does) and he never talks to the teacher, so I feel like I can go weeks and really not have a clue what's going on. I try not to bug her with email too much. It was very enlightening when I chaperoned a field trip recently. They have all these little rituals that DS follows (methods of getting them quiet, methods of keeping them in line)- just knowing that helps me reinforce them at home. And I didn't even know that DS had been taking his pants off and on by himself to go to the potty until I saw him do it at school- he was so used to having me do it that he never tried at home.

• It is like pulling teeth to get my DS to tell me about kindergarten. The best way I have been able to find out about school the past two years is by watching him play. He will recreate scenarios from the day. I found out about journal time because he put papers lined up along his bed (where the journals belong) and giving "directions" about what to draw. It's really cute and I think for him way more nonthreatening than having to answer my questions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePierce3252:

I don't know - I guess I'm going to have to go and visit the classroom sometime soon just so I can watch him and see how he's doing with other kids. 

Yes, I recommend doing this as often as you can. When my DS started preschool he was just beginning to talk, and wouldn't tell me anything about school.  His teacher wasn't very good about communicating with me and let some things go that shouldn't have.  We had a notebook that stayed in his backpack for communication (I would recommend that if you don't already have it).  Anyway turned out he wasn't doing well (lots of behavior problems, not being understood) and I didn't know about it until I came to observe him about 3 weeks into the year.  I was pisssed that she hadn't communicated to me what was going on, like she just thought he was normally aggressive and angry!  He was moved 1 month in from the inclusion class to self contained for the rest of that year and it was the best thing ever for him.

Anyway, get in there and observe when you can and don't be afraid to ask for more communication.  Once DS was in self contained and I voiced my concerns to his new teacher she did lots of things to keep me informed (calls, email, send home pictures of him from the day, a sheet that he circled what he did that day).

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • YES!  I know exactlyy what you mean.  My DS doesn't talk or sign..so I get nothing from him.  Plus, he rides the bus, so I don't even get to interview his teacher daily.  Loosening the apron strings is sooo hard...especially when your LO is only 3 and cannot advocate for himself.  :(
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Jayden talks, but NEVER recaps his day for us. On the first day of school I asked him what they did and he simply said "I ride the slide!". He definitely rode on the slide but I wasn't really interested in hearing about recess. LOL. His teacher sends home an activity recap so we do know everything that he has done for the day and if we ask him if he did this or that he will say yes. I think he'd say yes to anything about what he did for the day though...It is frustrating and I cannot wait until he starts recapping his days for us.
    Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
    And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
    FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"