VBAC
Options

Would you consider switching OB's at 35 weeks?

I noticed the previous post and I am in the same situation, but even further along.  I am also 42 and hoping to attempt a VBAC.  My practice (6 doctors) has done VBAC's and I like my doctor very much, but every time I see one of the other doctors I get totally negative vibes about it.  I think the AMA thing is a big part of it, but other than age I have no risk factors. And I've had CVS testing and several ultrasounds and the baby is healthy too.  At the last appointment the doc told me I would have to schedule a RCS for 40 weeks, which I do not want.  (DD was born at 41 weeks.)

There is one doctor in my area who is well known as the VBAC guy and I have scheduled an appointment with him for when I'm 35 weeks.  I am very anxious about switching so late but I'm afraid that if I stay with my practice they won't give me a chance.  I spoke with DH who I thought would be very much against a change at this time but he was totally behind it.

I guess I don't really have a question but wanted to hear some feedback if anyone has done this.  Thanks for reading.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Would you consider switching OB's at 35 weeks?

• Options

clearly i'm considering it (ha!)

i too was surprised that dh was in favor of me meeting a few other OBs and didn't at all object to potentially changing.

good luck ... you have my support.  i hate the idea of my medical decisions being based on anything other than science, and it seems that when it comes to babies, older women, and c/s ... liability seems to reign supreme.

• Options

Absolutely.  My doula switched practices that late in her pregnancy and went on to have a successful VBAC. 

I think the toughest thing would be to find a practice that takes new patients that late.  I know there are a lot that do, but I've heard of some that don't.  I would definitely look around if you are having any doubts.  

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I switched OBs at 40weeks 3days when mine officially turned on me. I wish that I followed my gut a couple of weeks earlier. Many options closed to me at 37 weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Absolutely.  You don't owe your OB anything.  And really, what can they do, that someone else couldn't do with your file in hand.  It's not like these Doctors remember all their patients anyway. 

If you would feel more comfortable some where else - I say go for it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"