North Carolina Babies
Options

Pumps.

So how the heck are us first-time mommies supposed to know which way to go for a breast pump?  It's not like you can test them out!  All I hear is that Medela Pump in Styles are the way to go.  My mom is saying a single manual pump will be perfect and to by-pass the $200-300 items.  What are y'all doing?!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pumps.

• Options

A single manual pump will take FOREVER. I used a Medela PIS (borrowed from a friend - replaced the external parts) and it was great. I didn't pump much at all though (in the mornings after he nursed & if I was going to be away from him, but I SAH, so it wasn't that often).

I know some ladies on this board pumped a lot more than me with less expensive models & had great luck. 

• Options
    I use the Medela Freestyle.  I pump 3 times a day while at work so can't imagine using a manual pump or single pump at all!  It was worth every penny!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pumped 3+ times a day and I had an ameda purely yours.  It is a great pump with the same reviews as a medela and cheaper (less than $200) GL
  • Options
    I have a Medela PISA. If you're going to be pumping once you return to work, the dual pumping system is DEFINITELY worth it. It cuts your pumping time in half. You can find a good dual-pumping system for less than $200, but I had Medela parts from my stay in the hospital, so I opted to use gift cards to pay for the pump once I got home.
  • Options

I had the Medela Swing. Its a single pump, but designed for full time use, also has the same let down features the PIS has. I worked part-time, and pumped occasionally at home. It worked really well, it was efficient and i was usually able to pump both sides in less than 30 minutes. 

I had a lot of issues with nursing, and ended up renting a double hospital pump for a month. 

When Caleb got older, we had to supplement with formula when I worked sometimes. I was not really pumping enough. I'm not sure if that would have improved if I had a double pump.  

All that being said, I would use the Swing with the next baby. But I think a double would have been a better investment.   

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    I have the Lansinoh double electric breast pump (I think it's the same as the Ameda one).  It workd great for me and I plan to use it again with this baby.  It's cheaper than the Medela one.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    still not sure what I'm doing this time, BUT last time I only had a manual pump and it was awful...so this time I borrow my SIL's double automatic pump in the event I do breast feed to make the process a lot more efficient and hopefully not as frustrating. Would not recommend a single, manual pump. GL!
  • Options
    You do not have to spend $300 on a good, electric, double pump. I used the Ameda Purely Yours and it worked really well. I think you can get one for $150. (Mine was borrowed, so I'm not sure exactly how much they are!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I LOVE my ameda purely yours! Its such a great pump and I def. agree that its worth getting a double whether u are goin to SAHM or Work cuz its so much faster. I ended up Exclusively pumping after the first few weeks and this pump worked great for me and the price tag wasn't too high either. Its also the same as the Lansinoh!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I EP and use the Medela PISA.
    imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have nothing useful to add to this post but I realized that I really am about to be a FTM when I read the subject line and I thought this thread must be about a hot pair of stilettos.
  • Options
    Another Lansinoh Double Electric fan here [and yes it's the same as the Ameda Purely Yours, just a different color]. Tell your mom to shove it if she says you don't need a double electric pump. Why on earth would you go with a single manual in this day and age?? You want speed and efficiency, and a single manual pump isn't going to provide that!

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Options

I borrowed a Medela PIS from a friend and replaced the external parts. Works great so far.

Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!!! Zoe Elizabeth - Born 8/25/11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"