Baby Names

nicknames for Iris????

So we're down to two names, Iris (middle name probably Willa) and Matilda Ruby. I'm leaning just a little more toward Iris, but my husband is leaning a little more toward Matilda, mostly because he loves the nickname potential-- we don't love Mattie, but he loves everything else-- Tillie, Millie, Tilda, Tildy, Tildy-poo. He's clearly the type to use cute nicknames--- at least at home--and just doesn't see the potential in Iris. I can't think of much either-- it is kind of a serious name-- but there have to be some options! Any ideas (for real nicknames, mainly, but perhaps also of the silly Tildy-poo variety)?

Re: nicknames for Iris????

• It's a stretch, but maybe Izzy?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He could always say she's his little flower :)

Eleanor Briar, born February 23rd, 2010
    Valentine Laurel, born August 26th, 2012
    Beatrice Hazel, born October 3rd, 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • My niece is Alyssa, and we call her Lulu. It just stuck. So the name doesn't have to lend itself to a cute nickname; you'll just pick something that works.

But Tildie-Poo? Really? Confused

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Rissie, Rissa, Rissie-roo?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that sometimes nn come from nowhere....my DD is Avery and we started calling her Avery Doodlebop (from a TV show) then she ended up being Doodle until she was like 3. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some people call Violet 'Vi' so you could always call her 'I', IDK first thing that came to mind.

I like the Riss-whatever you feel like NN for Iris.  Lots of options.

TTC #1 since January 2011
    CD3 & 7DPO B/W Normal except TSH - Low
    Dx Autoimmune Thyroid Disease - 8/2011
  • I get the silly/cutesy nickname thing, because my DH is a big nn user. Linus itself doesn't really have any natural nicknames, but he comes up with them regardless. He starred calling DS Monkey Trunks (don't ask me, it doesn't make sense to me either!), and that has turned into just Trunks or Trunkers. So even though the name Iris doesn't have any obvious nns, some may just come to him naturally.

On another tangent... When I was student teaching, there was a little girl named Iris, and one of the other teachers called her a different flower name every day. One day she was Petunia, and then Rose, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageJoy2611:
    I just want to tell you that I *love* the name Iris.

Loved the blog info about hurricanes! Extreme weather interests me.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • I don't think there is a nn for Iris, but I call my daughter Toot or Tootie and her name is Hazel. People were trying to do Haze or Hazie, but I did not care for that.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • imageJFH2010:
    It's a stretch, but maybe Izzy?

I was also thinking Izzy.

Does she really need a NN? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagetusshie2004:

imageJFH2010:
    It's a stretch, but maybe Izzy?

I was also thinking Izzy.

Does she really need a NN? 

This exactly. People put so much emphasis on not only finding the perfect name( which I understand), but the perfect name with the perfect nickname... It can seem a bit much at times. Nicknames are by dint of themselves supposed to be a more personalized label, if you will, for a person than their given name. Why not wait to meet the kid personally? 
  • Iris is very beautiful!  I would tell DH to forget about nick naming you child before they're born.  Like many others here I think most nick names just come from the kid doing something cute or they just kinda come on their own.

• Thanks for the suggestions. There are some cute ideas!  I like Izzy and Rissie.

Oh, I agree-- I don't see a need for a nickname specifically derived from a name, and I think that cutesy at-home stuff should emerge organically.  But my husband is excited by nickname potential, and I wanted to be ready with some suggestions that might make him happier with this name. But I guess we'll see how it all plays out in the hospital (since it seems that's where we'll be making this decision).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"