VBAC

VBAC hopeful - happy to be here so soon (long)

I know I'm posting very early in my pregnancy but I have been lurking (and posting!) on this board since it's creation hoping for the day when I would be pregnant with my VBAC hopeful baby. I had a c/s with DS in August 2011 due to breech position and the carelessness/impatience of my OB. I went to the hospital on a Monday evening thinking my water had broken (it hadn't) but was kept due to elevated (in my operative records it didn't say high just elevated) and protein in my urine (2+). My OB convinced me to let them break my water the next day. Since I had been assured for weeks that DS was head down and because he claimed I had been "flirting with pre-eclampsia" (his exact words) I let him. My OB didn't even bother checking his position. His first word was "oops" after breaking my water and then he told me it felt like a butt instead of a head and ordered an u/s. Two hours later I was on the table. I questioned him later if I'd ever had protein in my urine (since I'd been told I was flirting with pre-eclampsia), I was told those records was closed and asked if it even mattered anymore. 

The reason I'm happy to be here so soon is b/c DH was quite traumatized by my c/s (both by the process and the later effects it had on me emotionally). I always wanted children close in age so they would grow up together (my younger sister and I are only 16 months apart). Although I was ready to TTC at 18 months (per most VBAC recommendations) he was not. At the beginning of August we decided to stop TTA (don't really know what changed his mind, he just looked at me and said he'd love to have more beautiful kids with me). A little over 2 weeks later I got my BFP. What a surprise that it happened so soon!

I am now with a new OB, who I met with in July. He is extremely supportive of VBACs and even non-medicated VBACs. I have personally met several people that he has helped have their VBACs. He is extremely well thought of by all who know or have even heard of him. I actually even found out about him through a fellow bumpie. The only downside is I will be driving 1.5 hours for every appointment and delivery for this chance at a VBAC.
How sad is it that even though the area I live in and the rural areas surrounding it have a population over 500,000 I could not find one doctor recommended for VBAC in the area? Oh, well, I'll take the drive for the chance to have a doctor who actually believes that I should get the birth I deserve.

Ironically, the doctor is more pro-VBAC than DH. After the last time, he just doesn't want me to get my hopes up too much in case I have to have a c/s. Most people seem to expect me to have to have a c/s simply because I am very petite (5 ft) and around 126 lbs at start of pregnancy while my husband is 5"10/350 lbs (he's a weight lifter). DS was only 7 lbs 8 oz when born at 39w1d so I really believe that size won't be an issue. Even though I was induced I had already progressed to almost 4 cm/65% by 39 weeks so I know that my body knows what to do.

I'm really hoping for a H&H 9 months and am excited that my first appointment is next Wednesday (9/7). I'll have an u/s and meet with the doc. If you've made it this long, thanks for letting me share. 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: VBAC hopeful - happy to be here so soon (long)

• Congrats!!  It's great that you have such a supportive doctor - even though it requires such a long drive.  Lots of petite Moms have no problem birthing average and above average sized babies. 

And for your DH & the potential disappointment issue....My position is that I'd rather try again - with all possible cards stacked in my favor - and fail, than not try at all.  If I succeed, I will be ecstatic and so proud of myself.  If I fail, then I will be able to give up all the anger and guilt I have over DD's birth....because maybe it's just not meant to be. 

Good luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats!  I have an April 2011 baby, it's hard to believe the April 2012 ones are on their way. :)

I'm 4'10" and I was 90 lbs pre-pregnancy.  A lot of people told me I was too small to have a VBAC, but they were wrong.  I had no problems pushing out my 7lb 12 oz baby.  There have been short women having babies for all of time so don't listen to the naysayers.  

Good luck! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecchill01:

Congrats!!  It's great that you have such a supportive doctor - even though it requires such a long drive.  Lots of petite Moms have no problem birthing average and above average sized babies. 

And for your DH & the potential disappointment issue....My position is that I'd rather try again - with all possible cards stacked in my favor - and fail, than not try at all.  If I succeed, I will be ecstatic and so proud of myself.  If I fail, then I will be able to give up all the anger and guilt I have over DD's birth....because maybe it's just not meant to be. 

Good luck!!

I'm very excited!!! I've also told DH that regardless of the outcome at least I'll feel like I had the chance I deserved to have the type of birth I want.

imageiris427:

Congrats!  I have an April 2011 baby, it's hard to believe the April 2012 ones are on their way. :)

I'm 4'10" and I was 90 lbs pre-pregnancy.  A lot of people told me I was too small to have a VBAC, but they were wrong.  I had no problems pushing out my 7lb 12 oz baby.  There have been short women having babies for all of time so don't listen to the naysayers.  

Good luck! 

Glad to hear your story, already shared it with DH :P
    I'm so excited to already have this opportunity already...I really thought it would take longer for DH to be ready for another child. 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Glad you found a supportive OB even if it's a bit of a drive. We are on the same April board together! Congrats!

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"