Northern California Babies
Options

Pumping Moms: I feel like I discovered gold!!

So, I was at Toys R Us/Babies R Us today and was browsing by the nursing section. I saw that Medela has soft phlanges (sp?) and they are said to massage the breast while pumping. 

I bought them and just used them. I produced 3.25 oz of milk when I am usually lucky to get 2 oz!!! I pumped in between a feeding so I'm super excited! I think it's because of the new parts but who really knows?!?! I'm just stoked! 

****missing my little angel since 11/28/12 (m/c 8.4 weeks)**** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Pumping Moms: I feel like I discovered gold!!

• Options
    Interesting. Glad you found something you like.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just don't stick them in the microwave to sterilize them too often! Mine got all distorted and the plastic shrunk in places and they wouldn't seal to get suction.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm going to try those!  I have to massage like crazy to keep the milk coming.

Thanks!

PM me for our family/baby blog

Haley Beth ~ March 3rd, 2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageanirahc:
    Just don't stick them in the microwave to sterilize them too often! Mine got all distorted and the plastic shrunk in places and they wouldn't seal to get suction.  

This is great to know! I originally sterilized them on the stove so I guess I'll have to keep using that method. Thanks for the info 

****missing my little angel since 11/28/12 (m/c 8.4 weeks)**** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm excited to try this. I have only been able to pump a little bit. I thought breastfeeding would be the challenging part and pumping easy...and now that our LO is here, I've found the opposite. I go back to work in five weeks, so I need to figure out how to get more milk from pumping before then! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageskirby:

I'm excited to try this. I have only been able to pump a little bit. I thought breastfeeding would be the challenging part and pumping easy...and now that our LO is here, I've found the opposite. I go back to work in five weeks, so I need to figure out how to get more milk from pumping before then! 

I totally thought this as well! Boy was I wrong, they are both hard, darn it! I also just started taking fenugreek two days ago. Prior to that I was taking Brewer's Yeast but because the smell made me gag every time I gave up on it within a day and a half. 

Let me know if you find anything that helps. 

• Options
    Massaging and hand expressing has always resulted in more milk for me when the pump was "done". I'm glad that you're seeing increased output!
  • Options

imagealibee09:
    Massaging and hand expressing has always resulted in more milk for me when the pump was "done". I'm glad that you're seeing increased output!

How did you express without the milk getting everywhere? I would totally be up to trying this as well. Also, this is going to sound ridiculous but did you ever get a hand cramp from hand expressing? Sometimes my wrists get stiff just from holding up the pump parts for like twenty minutes 

• Options

imagemandy0505:
    How did you express without the milk getting everywhere? I would totally be up to trying this as well. Also, this is going to sound ridiculous but did you ever get a hand cramp from hand expressing? Sometimes my wrists get stiff just from holding up the pump parts for like twenty minutes 

Oh man, get a handless pumping bra like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PumpEase-Classic-Collection-hands-free-pumping/dp/B004BIYWHO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1314660231&sr=8-11

I would never pump holding the stuff again. :D I *do* get a hand cramp from hand-expressing, but it gets a lot easier the more practice you have at it. The hand cramping is the reason why I use an electric pump -- it's more efficient on the whole, but then at the end I can still sometimes get 1+oz out by hand.

As for getting stuff everywhere, I don't usually -- I can express into the bottle. You could also use the flange as a funnel -- just stick the skinny part in the bottle then aim at the wide part sticking out. :)

• Options
    imagemandy0505:
    imageskirby:

I totally thought this as well! Boy was I wrong, they are both hard, darn it! I also just started taking fenugreek two days ago. Prior to that I was taking Brewer's Yeast but because the smell made me gag every time I gave up on it within a day and a half. 

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I went to a lactation consultant today. I'm not sure if you have Kaiser, but they are great with doing phone, or in-person consultations. I'm sure other providers offer the same.

I felt much better about how little I was pumping. She said that when getting started, it's okay if you can only get 1/2 a feeding. That means that 1.5-2.5 ounces is normal. Once you start using bottles, pumping while your baby is feeding should produce a full feeding amount, 3-5 ounces. Today we tried the bottle for the first time - but while my husband fed I only got 1 ounce. 

Though I'm sitting by our LO, and looking at her...it was suggested that I try to smell her clothes, watch a video of her feeding, drink something warm, massage my breast, (and my personal fav) lean forward and jiggle my boobs (try that without laughing). Since the pump feels so foreign when getting started...making me feel like an uncomfortable cow, it takes awhile to get used to it. So, the moral I walked away with today is, be PATIENT and relax. I'm going to try and not get frustrated, and call them next week if I can't start pumping a bit more.

I would highly suggest trying to meet with a lactation consultant if you are able. With my c-section we were in the hospital longer, and the nurses really helped me with breastfeeding.  

We tried to get the soft flanges today...but only had time to run by Target, who didn?t have them. Hoping to get them by Wednesday and give them a try.

Good luck!!!  I hope we both get the hang of this soon. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemandy0505:
    imageskirby:

This is me too! Pumping is such a pain in the butt. I go on the Breastfeeding board and some of the ladies there pump between 8-10 oz per session and I'm here with my pathetic 4 oz. And that's first thing in the morning when my boobs are hard!

It's hard finding time to pump in between feedings because I'm usually entertaining LO or rocking her to take a nap. By the time I get around to sitting down to pump, it's time to feed her again. I'm drinking Mother's Milk Tea (which tastes like gross black licorice tea, by the way) to see if it helps my supply. Another option is to supplement with formula until I can build a decent freezer stash since I might be going back to work sooner than I thought.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebloominautumn:
    imagemandy0505:
    imageskirby:

This is me too! Pumping is such a pain in the butt. I go on the Breastfeeding board and some of the ladies there pump between 8-10 oz per session and I'm here with my pathetic 4 oz. And that's first thing in the morning when my boobs are hard!

It's hard finding time to pump in between feedings because I'm usually entertaining LO or rocking her to take a nap. By the time I get around to sitting down to pump, it's time to feed her again. I'm drinking Mother's Milk Tea (which tastes like gross black licorice tea, by the way) to see if it helps my supply. Another option is to supplement with formula until I can build a decent freezer stash since I might be going back to work sooner than I thought.

I'm with you for the 4 oz in the morning and that's only because I'm engorged. How does everyone else get 8? That is nuts 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"