Food Allergy
Options

Q RE: blood in poop

So DS had blood in his poop this morning. He had microscopic blood in his poop when he was 3 weeks old and we found out he is allergic to dairy and soy. I've been sticking to the diet religiously. Then we learned about more allergies (listed below) and 2 weeks ago the pedi suggested adding corn back in to see if he was allergic (because we were unsure if his reaction was to corn or nuts...and we are starting with corn since it's less allergenic).

I haven't eaten anything different and I know I haven't eaten soy or dairy. My question is...can other foods cause intestinal bleeding? I called the hospital today (office closed) and they didn't seem worreid adn just brushed me off, pretty much telling me I ate dairy or soy (I'm not an idiot). So now I have to wait until Monday to talk to his pedi. I just want to know if it could actually be the corn causing this or if perhaps he has in iritation in his intestine (he has been straining recently) that's causing the bleeding rather than an allergy.

Just needing advice from more experienced food allergy moms! TIA!

Re: Q RE: blood in poop

• Options

Are you absolutely certain you didn't have any soy or dairy(hidden?)?  If not, did you eat anything you haven't eaten in a long time or something new?  I would definitely look at everything you consumed in the last few days. I would also consider cutting out the top 8 allergens, just in case.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be. We went with Elecare when the elimination diet didn't seem to work(and the stress of wondering if I was eating something that could bother him got to be too much). 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes, it is very stressful. I always have dreams that I ate something with milk in it!

I know I didn't eat anything (I've been basically living off the same few foods like rice, beans, fruit, veggies, one brand of bagels, etc to take the stress off). The only thing I can think of is maybe something DH put in the toaster oven toached what I ate or something? Maybe there was some cross-contamination in our kitchen somehow. Ugh, I hate not knowing.

I've been pumping and giving him frozen milk from a month ago. It's really sad to pour it down the drain : (

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageamy21tom:

Yes, it is very stressful. I always have dreams that I ate something with milk in it!

I know I didn't eat anything (I've been basically living off the same few foods like rice, beans, fruit, veggies, one brand of bagels, etc to take the stress off). The only thing I can think of is maybe something DH put in the toaster oven toached what I ate or something? Maybe there was some cross-contamination in our kitchen somehow. Ugh, I hate not knowing.

I've been pumping and giving him frozen milk from a month ago. It's really sad to pour it down the drain : (

I've been top 8 free for about 5 months now, and my DD did have a little blood a few times when I tried to introduce new things.  If it was just a little blood I wouldn't be too worried (easier said than done, I know), and I wouldn't pump and dump.  Most things (except dairy) clear out of your system very quickly.  Usually, if my DD had some blood, it went away within a day of my stopping the new food.  Are you still eating wheat?  That was one that really bothered my LO.

• Options

I don't understand why it has to be soy/milk that only causes bleeding issues. I think with allergies anything goes and it is totally possible for corn to cause bleeding (but I've never experienced it so this is obviously not a sure thing). 

But from what you're saying it does sound like the culprit is corn since you LO is allergic to corn and you just reintroduced it and the bleeding began.  

I would still check all the ingredients and make sure no soy/milk has been added to any ingredients (since they do change) as a persuasion, but it does sound like corn is the cause.

• Options
    imagemagdusia:

I don't understand why it has to be soy/milk that only causes bleeding issues. I think with allergies anything goes and it is totally possible for corn to cause bleeding (but I've never experienced it so this is obviously not a sure thing). 

But from what you're saying it does sound like the culprit is corn since you LO is allergic to corn and you just reintroduced it and the bleeding began.  

I would still check all the ingredients and make sure no soy/milk has been added to any ingredients (since they do change) as a persuasion, but it does sound like corn is the cause.

I'm pretty sure corn is the cause too. We saw his pedi today and didn't just talk to an on call Dr. and she said other allergens can definitely cause bleeding. She also spoke with a pedi gastroenterologist and he thought it could be the culprit too.  I am going corn free again (we were initially unsure whether he was allergic but this past episode seems to confirm it). We're going to do a stool culture in 2 weeks to see if the blood is gone. If not the next thing to eliminate is fish (since I ate that twice this week and that is the first time I've ever eaten it while nursing). If it gets to that point I think I'll just go top 8 free (+corn) so I can quit it with the elmination diets.

Thanks ladies! I will definitely be around more. It's nice to have people who understand all these allergies!

• Options
    imageamy21tom:
    imagemagdusia:

I'm pretty sure corn is the cause too. We saw his pedi today and didn't just talk to an on call Dr. and she said other allergens can definitely cause bleeding. She also spoke with a pedi gastroenterologist and he thought it could be the culprit too.  I am going corn free again (we were initially unsure whether he was allergic but this past episode seems to confirm it). We're going to do a stool culture in 2 weeks to see if the blood is gone. If not the next thing to eliminate is fish (since I ate that twice this week and that is the first time I've ever eaten it while nursing). If it gets to that point I think I'll just go top 8 free (+corn) so I can quit it with the elmination diets.

Thanks ladies! I will definitely be around more. It's nice to have people who understand all these allergies!

Sounds like your really on top of it all.  I wish i caught on like you did when my son was 3 months old. (it took me 7 months)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"