High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone else get weird BS jumps for no reason???

Ok, so I'm a little frustrated right now.  I woke up with a BS of 82.  Great.  Then I ate a typical breakfast that I've had before:  Scrambled eggs with cheese on a sandwich thin with a little bit of Light Mayo.  I added sausage links but there's no carbs so it shouldn't affect my bs at all.  I had 8 oz of milk with it but I have 8 oz of milk every morning.  I shot up to 102!  Why?!  I know it's still within the normal range but I didn't do anything new.  Does anyone else have this happen to them?  I feel like if I'm going to shoot up by 20 it should be because I cheated and had something I shouldn't!  Grrrr. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Anyone else get weird BS jumps for no reason???

• Your blood sugar is supposed to go up if you have carbs and milk. That is completely normal and well within range. I can't even have milk for breakfast or I'd get a terrible number. 

Did someone clearly explain to you how this works? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your number is well within range. I don't get what the concern is. Also, I believe fat can affect how your body metabolizes things so the sausage may have affected things slightly. Either way, you're fine.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • And your fasting was an 82, but you just posted below that it's usually in the 60s. I think I'd be slightly more concerned about why it jumped up to 82 than about your post breakfast number.
  • Well milk does have sugar so it could be that.  But you say you normally have milk every morning so idk.  Cheese and milk are both dairy carbs so maybe that was an overload for one meal?  My meal plan doesn't have 2 dairys for any meal.  Sausage sometimes has added sugar/syrup in it to flavor the meat.  I honestly don't know about the lite mayo you're using but I do know that lower fat foods in general often have added sugar to balance the loss of fat for taste.  Check your ingredient labels, not just the carb/sugar amounts.  If it says "sugar" then it's added sugar which is not as healthy as naturally occuring sugars found in foods like dairy.  I learned these sneaky things when I was eating low carb to lose weight. 

I don't know if any amount of explaning makes it more clear.  DH has diabetes so I'm more in the know and my numbers are still all over.  This am I had 2 canned biscuits (horrible yes I know) with 2 eggs and milk.  My mg/dl was 134, higher than yesterday's breakfast of the same thing plus grits and 2 pieces of sausage! (i was hungry btw lol)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's the fat from the sausage. But really why are you complaining about your wonderful numbers and the fact that you can drink milk? Sorry to be mean but I don't get to drink milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A jump of 20 after eating a meal is normal. And I would kill to get 102's after drinking milk - milk is a big part of the reason I'm on insulin. 

Now if you jumped from 80 to say, 160, then I'd be concerned. But 102 is a great number. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Echoing what the other ladies have said - your numbers very healthy, especially given that you had milk. Also, keep in mind that as the pregnancy progresses, your body will require more and more insulin to keep your numbers down, especially in the morning. So even if you've been consistent about eating the same things everyday, there will (most likely) be a point at which you will spike after a meal where you wouldn't have before. Your body's need for insulin triples late in pregnancy. So talk to your doctor about it, and see if you need to adjust dosages or add pre-meal insulin (I don't know if you're on it already). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ Disney Freeek:  I wasn't "complaining" about my "wonderful numbers".  I was wondering if anyone else has jumps like that with foods they've eaten before.  I'm sorry that you can't drink milk but honestly if you aren't trying to be helpful please just don't respond.  We're all obviously pregnant and emotional and I don't really need the guilt trip.  And before I started my meds I didn't always have "wonderful numbers" so I know what that feels like too.
  • Thanks to everyone that left helpful info!  I didn't mean to seem like I was complaining.  I'm only going off of the numbers I've had in the past and that was my first big jump since I've started this journey!  I guess as long as I'm in the normal range I just won't worry about it.  :)
  • imagelyse2143:
    And your fasting was an 82, but you just posted below that it's usually in the 60s. I think I'd be slightly more concerned about why it jumped up to 82 than about your post breakfast number.

I wasn't concerned about the 82 because I ate a few things last night that I shouldn't have so I kind of expected it.  I really was just frustrated that my bs jumped from eating a breakfast that I've had before and it only increased maybe 5 or 6 at the most. 

• Holy COW!  I would be doing a booty dance for those numbers!!  LOL;0)  My nutritionist said that your body has to break down fate before the sugars, so when you eat high fat, you have higher numbers for longer.  Every week, my doc bumps up my insulin by 2.  And every week, it jumps to match.  I've gotten ONE number in the 90's.  A.M. are in the 100's.  After meals are between 1teen's and 120.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
  • imageTwiMom:
    Thanks to everyone that left helpful info!  I didn't mean to seem like I was complaining.  I'm only going off of the numbers I've had in the past and that was my first big jump since I've started this journey!  I guess as long as I'm in the normal range I just won't worry about it.  :)

Everyone left helpful info. Just because you may not have liked exactly what they said, or didn't want to hear it, doesn't mean it wasn't helpful. You need to remember that some will have it much better or much worse than you so try to remain sensitive to that when you post here.

• imagelyse2143:

imageTwiMom:
    Thanks to everyone that left helpful info!  I didn't mean to seem like I was complaining.  I'm only going off of the numbers I've had in the past and that was my first big jump since I've started this journey!  I guess as long as I'm in the normal range I just won't worry about it.  :)

Everyone left helpful info. Just because you may not have liked exactly what they said, or didn't want to hear it, doesn't mean it wasn't helpful. You need to remember that some will have it much better or much worse than you so try to remain sensitive to that when you post here.

I'm glad you thought it was all helpful.  And it's been good for me to see that other people have it harder than I do so when I feel sorry for myself I can see how good I actually have it.  I was just using this as a place to vent to people that understand but I will find a different outlet next time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"