Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Borax in dish washing powder

So I made an eco-friendly dish washing powder and it has borax in it. Someone told me that their is a new study that says it is not safe for children. I am going to google it but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. TIA.

DD#1 is 3! And LO#2 is on his/her way! Due Feb 26th, 2014.

BFP#1: EDD 5/7/2010 born on 5/20/2010. A little girl named Emily.  

BFP#2: m/c 10/29/2012 EDD was 6/21/2012 Baby Hope was 6 weeks 3 days. 

BFP#3: Twin B stopped growing at 8 weeks and 5 days. Found on 8/10/2014. EDD was 2/26/2014. Twin A is still doing great and due date is 2/26/14. 

Re: Borax in dish washing powder

• Options
    That's been floating around for some time, I don't know if it's true or not, though if the detergent works and doesn't leave a film on everything please post the recipe! I've never had a recipe actually work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelucy460:
    This is something I've been wondering and reading about lately, and I'm unsure. Here is the most comprehensive article I've seen so far: https://crunchybetty.com/getting-to-the-bottom-of-borax-is-it-safe-or-notSorry it's not clicky; posting from phone. :)

Okay! That makes me feel a lot better! haha.  

BFP#3: Twin B stopped growing at 8 weeks and 5 days. Found on 8/10/2014. EDD was 2/26/2014. Twin A is still doing great and due date is 2/26/14. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekdello:
    That's been floating around for some time, I don't know if it's true or not, though if the detergent works and doesn't leave a film on everything please post the recipe! I've never had a recipe actually work.

I just made it last night and I went to check the dishes from this morning and there is a film on them! :( Gr. I didn't notice till I wiped my finger on them because the dishes are white. I guess I will be looking for something else.

• Options
    imageemilysmommy2010:

imagekdello:

I just made it last night and I went to check the dishes from this morning and there is a film on them! :( Gr. I didn't notice till I wiped my finger on them because the dishes are white. I guess I will be looking for something else.

Yep. It's the worst on glasses. Good news is you can turn crappy dish detergent into great laundry detergent :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekdello:
    imageemilysmommy2010:

imagekdello:

Yep. It's the worst on glasses. Good news is you can turn crappy dish detergent into great laundry detergent :)

I also read you can add salt to the mixture and vinegar to the rinse cycle and it should help. I am going to make one last attempt to save it. If not, it will become laundry detergent. haha. 

• Options
    Borax is definitely NOT non-toxic. I use it sparingly. I prefer it to regular detergents but it's a last resort for me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"