Special Needs
Options

Update on apnea

Hi all, so I posted about a week ago about my 3 week olds apnea episodes. Just figured I would update everyone. I got the results of his test and it seems that he has episodes of both central and obstructive apnea. A lot of them were central and mixed apneas. The longest episode was 16 seconds long but he had 8 desats in 12 hours one as low as 81%. He is on the SmartMonitor2 which beeps if he stops breathing for 20 seconds or more. It has beeped a ton so I called the monitor people and they came out and downloaded the info on Tuesday and called and said they were false alarms and he had an episode that lasted 16 seconds. I also made an appointment with the pedi to talk about it since I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it. He pretty much brushed it off and said it was fine. He said his daughter had apnea and GERD and she actually turned smurf blue 4 different times and that she outgrew it by 8 months. He is a good pedi from what I've heard and I'm hoping he just doesnt think its serious enough and he knew I was freaking out so he tried to downplay it some to make me feel better? Or maybe just because he had to deal with it and it was fine or his daughter had it a lot worst, or maybe Brayden's apnea isnt that horrible, I have nothing to compare it to so I have no clue. Anyways I also took a class on the monitor and on infant CPR, the nurse said 99% of the time you only need gentle stimulation to help your LO remember to breathe so that made me feel a little better. I still am feeling stressed though, last night his stupid monitor went off 6 times and 3 times this morning! And it never goes off that much, its so hard for me to tell if hes breathing or not bc he breathes so shallow and when I put my hand on his stomach to feel he wakes. I do notice sometimes that if I'm feeling his belly when he breathes and looking at the monitor it skips sometimes so maybe it skipped and his breathing was shallow. I have no clue. We don't have our pulmonologist appointment until Sept 21st though so that stinks :( Also the stupid daycare that I have to send him to after my maternity leave (at 2 months) won't take him now. So I either have to find a last minute daycare or DH has to use his FMLA to stay longer with him. Theres just so many unknowns and unanswered questions. Its so annoying :( Anyways I've noticed a lot of posts about autism. Just wanted to let everyone know I work with autistic children and if I can offer any help feel free to PM me with questions! I appreciate everyones kind words.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update on apnea

• Options
    I know Cleveland Clinic offers a daycare for children with medical equipment.  Obviously Cleveland is a little too far of a commute but maybe they have something simliar near you?
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"