3rd Trimester
Options

Do babies wear onsies, etc. during hospital stay?

Dumb question, I know, but I was looking through some hospital packing checklists that mentioned bringing a few baby outfits for while the baby is in the hospital.  DH and I assumed the hospital would want the baby to only be wrapped in blankets, etc. provided by the hospital during her stay.  Are you planning to bring your own blankets and onesies/outfits for while the baby is there? 

Re: Do babies wear onsies, etc. during hospital stay?

• Options
    Use sidesnap or regular t-shirts, the onesie will rub their belly button stump. 
  • Options
    This may depend on the hospital, but when I had DS, the hospital kept him in their own tshirts and caps.  I only put him in our clothes on the day we left.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hospital I delivered DD at provided blankets, hats and a shirt. They put nothing on the bottom, other than a diaper, because diaper changes are so frequent but she was always swaddled so she was warm. The hospital I will deliver at this time provides blankets and hats and they put all the babies in the same long sleeved white gown. You can certainly bring your own stuff if you want to but it's not really necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Most hospitals will provide little side-snap t-shirts for the baby to wear while in the hospital.  We kept DS in those little t's and just a diaper, plus socks (provided by us) and hat and then wrapped in a blanket, the first day or so theirs and then I switched him to one of mine, until it was time to leave.  Their lil' umbilical stumps are kind of messy the first day or so and I figured, why bother staining our baby clothes with it.  Plus they are constantly being unwrapped/undressed to have their vital signs checked (every 4 hours) so it was easy access for everybody to just have the little t-shirt on. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had the option to do either. We kept him in the hospital clothes until it was time to go home though. They had all the blankets, clothes, pacis etc though. You get charged for them either way.
  • Options
    DD1 just wore what the hospital provided (hats, gowns, a side-snap shirt, blankets) until we left. We only brought a take home outfit. However, since I'm due in October this time as opposed to August, I will be bringing a hat and blanket as well to take her home in.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepeanut2b:
    This may depend on the hospital, but when I had DS, the hospital kept him in their own tshirts and caps.  I only put him in our clothes on the day we left.

Ditto. They had everything.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    Thanks!  Wow, this is so helpful!  I didn't think about the umbilical stump, and would have picked a onesie to bring her home in that probably would have bothered her.  And, this helps because I can pick out an outfit to bring her home in without offending family who want to see her in the outfits they picked!
  • Options
    How long until they wear onesies? So the take home outfit also just needs to be a side button shirt and pants?
  • Options

imagepeanut2b:

This was how it was with us as well.  However, we also dressed him up for his hospital pictures as well.  =0)  

Bobby and Jules Est. 07-12-2008. We welcomed Nolan 08-20-2011. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenfisher23:
    How long until they wear onesies? So the take home outfit also just needs to be a side button shirt and pants?

I put onesies on DD1 from the start. They rubbed her stump less than the waist band of pants would have. DD1 came home in a onesie under a sleeper, and DD2 will as well. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagememali26:

imagenfisher23:

I put onesies on DD1 from the start. They rubbed her stump less than the waist band of pants would have. DD1 came home in a onesie under a sleeper, and DD2 will as well. 

Me too, I wouldn't worry as long as it is not tight. We put DS in a 0-3 onesie to bring him home and it was a little big, didn't bother his belly button at all. Pants are not good, but sleepers are onesies with a little room to spare were perfectly fine for us.

• Options
    DS wore the side snapped shirts & diapers provided by the hospital.  I brought socks & a hat for him.  That's what I'm planning on this time around.
  • Options
    I'm really glad someone brought this up, I hadn't even thought about the belly button either.
  • Options
    My go to clothes items for baby while in the hospital are zip up sleep sacks with a short sleeve gerber type onesie underneath...that is all my babies really wear the first 3ish months...a blanket or two is nice to have on hand if you dont want to use the hospital ones.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options

imageLDQAM516:
    My go to clothes items for baby while in the hospital are zip up sleep sacks with a short sleeve gerber type onesie underneath...that is all my babies really wear the first 3ish months...a blanket or two is nice to have on hand if you dont want to use the hospital ones.

I guess I should add that I have Winter babies!  Now a summer baby would be totally different! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    No, just the side snap tshirts issues by the hospital.
  • Options
    Aren't the t shirt and onesie the same for the stump? I don't see how it would hurt the stump if the onesie wasn't tight.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    You should check with your hospital on their policies. The hospital I am delivering at doesn't allow you to put your own clothes on LO until you are leaving. I have no idea why but that's what they do.
  • Options
    Mine wore a side snap shirt and a big blanket (swaddled), and of course her diaper; all which were provided by the hospital (although we couldn't take the linens home).

• Options

imagepeanut2b:

this. AND take whatever is there when you leave as you WILL pay for it no matter what.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We kept him in the shirts the hospital provided. No bottoms and we used their blanket. We only put him in our clothes on the way home.
    ~I Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Posting from an Android sorry for any errors
  • Options

With my first DD I only brought the outfit for the hospital pictures (a layette gown) and the going home outfit.  I found that the slide snap shirt kept getting hiked up under her armpits but we dealt with it.  With our second DD I brought a couple more layette gowns and I had her wear those in the hospital.  With both girls I was in the hospital for three nights (c-section) and both girls wore onsies as part of their going home outfits.  I never noticed that the onsie bothered their unbilical stumps but we stayed away from pants.

For this little guy I plan on bringing some hats, regular t-shirts (still not a fan of the side snap) and sleepers.  

We've always used the hospital blankets while we were there but I don't believe we had the option of taking them with us because they looked very well washed... I always took all the pacifiers, diapers, vaseline, bulb syringes, etc... things I knew they wouldn't reuse.

Jen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS was in hospital t-shirt, diaper and wrapped with their blankets. We didn't need an outfit until it was time to go home.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital told us that if we bring clothes for her they will be thrown out.  We are only allowed a going home outfit.  So I figure they will wrap her in something to keep her warm and safe.
  • Options

Our hospital didn't provide clothing, just blankets and hats.

My poor child was naked (other than his diaper and swaddle) for the first 2 days in the hospital because his idiot parents didn't figure out that we could put clothes on our own child. We totally thought we weren't allowed or something. But we clued in after that and we used the plain, snap bottom onesies on him. His belly button stump did just fine with them.

I'm amazed they let us take him home Wink

FTR: We're not stupid or young, we just lost our common sense at that moment Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"