Special Needs
Options

Easy (but not too easy) sippy cups...

First of all i want to apologize. I rarely respond after people have replied to my posts. I VERY MUCH appreciate all the support you ladies. I just get busy and...well.. you know. But thank you all so much!

My 11.5 month old daughter has low tone and a high palate. One or both of these seem to be affecting her ability to use a sippy cup. She's been using stage 2 nipples on her bottles since about 3 months and does fine. Sippy cups though require too much suction. I can remove the "no-spill" valve thing but then it just pours out and that's no good either. We've tried a few (Avent, Nuby, Playtex) with no success. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Re: Easy (but not too easy) sippy cups...

• Options
    Have you tried straw cups?  We've found they worked well for DS - we like the Munchkin straw cups and the Nuby Super Straw cups.  He doesn't have any specific feeding issues, but he won't drink enough with the sippy cups with full valves - I think they're too much work and the other ones are fine, but are so messy.  The ones we did find that were less messy/work were the Tilty cup and the Munchkin cups.
  • Options

we use the tilty cup with the smoothie lid (he also gets thickened liquids though).  they do have a normal flow and they do not have the "no spill" valves. 

we also use the nalgene sippy/water bottles.  they are in the fitness aisle with all the other water bottles but they are for kids. 

my son also has low tone and a high pallet and we've had success with both of these sippy cups (after many many trials and errors with others).

hth!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our OT suggested replacing the cup straw w/a regular straw that is easier to suck from.  Also suggested a small plastic shot glass so he could learn to sip w/o too much volume.
  • Options
    I like the nuk orthodontic sippy cup. Worked better for us then some other, nubby included.
  • Options

I was going to sugges the take and toss straw cups....but if you want to have the actual tipping of a cup I have heard really good things about the Reflo cup....though it may just be a little too much for your LO to use right now. I am actually thinking about trying a few with my DS to get him to learn to use a cup.

https://www.reflo.net/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS also has low tone & is on thickened liquids. We have tried every single sippy cup out there (seriously!) the only two he can actually get fluids out of without drowning are the munchkin silicone spout sippies (they have a clear spout that looks like the nuby one but functions differently) & the Nuk orthodontic sippy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would recommend starting with the take n toss straw cups. DS's feeding therapist recommended these for us to try and they were the only thing DS could do for a while. We then were able to gradually transition him to the nuby straw cups and other styles of straw cups and he is just now starting to understand how to use a sippy.

Honestly though I wasn't too concerned if he never mastered a traditional sippy cup because its not like you continue to drink from a sippy as you get older but you DO continue to drink from a straw and it was nice when we were out and about if he didn't have a sippy he was really good at using a regular straw at a restaurant. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"