VBAC
Options

Talk to me about the foley method/bulb?

I'm 39+ weeks pregnant with a singleton.  Last time i delivered my twins at 33 weeks so i never in a million years thought i woudl still be pregnant and looking at the possibility of induction.  OB's want baby out by 41 weeks because i have gestational diabetes (very well controlled with diet and baby is only in the 13th percentile, which is why they're willing to give me until 41 weeks).  So...today the OB mentioned possibly inducing me starting with the foley method if nothing is happening a few days shy of 41 weeks.  She said that the chances for a successful VBAC using this method to start labor followed by breaking my water and some petocin would decrease from 70/80% to 50%.  Thoughts?  Experiences?  I'm so torn!!!!

Re: Talk to me about the foley method/bulb?

• Options

I had a foley bulb with my first induction.  I was completely unfavorable for an induction in the first place.... so mine didn't work so well.  I was able to dialate to 4cm with the foley bulb (and 4 rounds of cytotec), but that's where my progress ended. 

It's basically a mechanical way to dialate the cervix.  I won't lie, it kinda sucked to get inserted, but after it was in, I didn't feel it much.  They taped the catheter to my leg and I was still able to walk around with it.  Overall, I'm glad I tried it.... but my cervix clearly wasn't ready for what we were mechanically making it do :)

ETA:  The foley bulb is only supposed to get you to 4cm (I believe).  What I meant to say was that it didn't spur me into any sort of active labor to where I progressed anymore on my own...

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a foley bulb to start my induction with DS.  It was uncomfortable going in and coming out (they kinda yanked on it, though for some it comes out on it's own).  I was able to eat and shower before they started the pit.  I think out of all the cervical ripeners the foley bulb is the best for VBACs because it is not chemical.

Once I got the pit we just waited for things to start but nothing happened for several hours, so we started walking, and that really got things going.  So I recommend walking :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had 2 with my induction b/c the OB on staff (not my OB) didn't get it in all the way. It hurt like he!! getting it in and when they pulled it out and I was still maybe 1cm.  So they did a 2nd one Indifferent That one got me to 4 or 5 cm depending on who you ask. But I never made it any further than that even with Pitocin.

• Options
    I had a foley for my VBAC attempt. The insertion was uncomfortable but not bad. My OB warned that it could take 10 to 12 hours to fall out and that it would hopefully get me to 3 cm (I was not quite 1cm when I was admitted). The residents came in ever 90 minutes or so to adjust the tension. After 6 hours it fell out on it's own. I was 5 cm. Over the next couple hours I made it to 7cm. I stalled there as DS was having some serious decels. After 8 hours of trying everything they could, my OB, DH and I decided a c/s was best. I would never change my decision to be induced with a foley cath.
  • Options
    That's exactly how my labor went down... started with the foley which dilated me from 3cm to 5cm. Then AROM when took me from 5cm to 6cm and then pitocin which took me to pushing! I'm glad we started with the foley though because I felt like it was the most natural of the 3.

ETA: I will add that I was pretty favorable for induction. I was 3cm, 50% and -2 and 42.5 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"