Military Families
Options

Annoying FB comment bothered me

I reposted a great article that my husband was mentioned in on FB. I was really proud of the way he was portrayed and wanted to share with all our friends and family.   I got a comment from a woman who is the mother of one of my friends and I don't really know very well, saying "that's a nice article, but I feel so sorry for you".  I know she was referring to the fact that DH is away from home right now, but it really did not seem appropriate.  I don't want people feeling sorry for me b/c I am a military wife.  I'm proud of him not upset!  Probably overreacting but it has been bugging me a lot!
AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

SaveSave

Re: Annoying FB comment bothered me

• Options
    Maybe you should comment back "why do you feel sorry for me?" then let her explain her reasoning and then explain how proud u r of hubby :)
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think that would bug me too. I'd probably comment something along the lines of what you said. There's nothing worse than pity, especially when there's no cause for it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That would definitely annoy me... I would comment back and ask her why.
  • Options
    Civilian wives will never understand. Yes, it's annoying. But, instead of saying "why" and starting that ordeal, since you said you know why, try this...
    Say, "Thank you for your kind concern, but there really is no need to feel sorry for me! I am a strong woman and so proud of my brave husband. We are a military family and we do this because we want to. Instead of your pity, I'd love your prayers and good wishes for all our military men and women, that they are able to do their jobs well and return home safely."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCravingQueen:
    Civilian wives will never understand. Yes, it's annoying. But, instead of saying "why" and starting that ordeal, since you said you know why, try this...
    Say, "Thank you for your kind concern, but there really is no need to feel sorry for me! I am a strong woman and so proud of my brave husband. We are a military family and we do this because we want to. Instead of your pity, I'd love your prayers and good wishes for all our military men and women, that they are able to do their jobs well and return home safely."
    I love this! I will definitely remember this in case I ever need it!

• Options
    oh man i got this so much when my hubs was on deployment.. he is going back out to sea (back to back deployments suck) and everyone is like "Oh its so good your coming back to chicago this time since you won't be so alone" or "you're so strong to do this while pregnant and now with a baby".. like REALLY.. shut up! lol.. I am proud to be a navy wife and people just dont understand that its part of our life. Dont let it bother you to much, they mean well they really do. They just dont get it. I hated when people said things like that when i was pregnant. But now I just ignore them lol.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I didn't write anything back to her, just let it go.  But I do hate when people act like my husband's job is a terminal disease when I tell them what he does.  As far as I know there isn't a draft, so obviously we chose this route.  I don't want your pity/confused/horrified looks and or comments.  He doesn't have cancer, he's just in the Army people. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

SaveSave
  • Options
    AGREE! Best approach!
  • Options

imagemintyblue02:
    He doesn't have cancer, he's just in the Army people. 

That's awesome.  

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"