Pregnant after 35
Options

Eliana has arrived! (Just a week late with post)

Our baby girl, Eliana Grace, arrived last week, just a few days before my due date. 

I had no idea that you could have contractions just in your upper thighs.  I had always heard about abdominal and back contractions, but never upper thigh.  So, when I had my first one at 10:00 pm, I just looked at DH and said, "I have the wierdest sensation in my upper thighs."  It wasn't cramping or tingling or even really pain.  I wish I could describe it.  I've been trying to for over a week and I still don't have a good description.

Anyway, we went to bed and I was up every 1/2 hour with this "sensation" in my upper thighs and the feeling that I needed to pee.  About midnight, I told DH that I would go to the couch since he had to get up and work the next day and I was obviously not going to be able to let him sleep if I was there.  At 2:00 am, I went to the bathroom and discharged a blood glob so I called the hospital.  They told me that it sounded like I was in early labor and it could last 20 hours so go take a shower or get some sleep.  Start timing everything whenever I wanted and go to the doctor in the morning.

So, I went upstairs, woke DH up, told him I was taking a shower and then he needed to help me time these contractions that I was apparently having in my upper thighs.  They were about 7 minutes apart and lasted anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds.  I called the hospital back and they told me that since they weren't consistent to just come see the doctor at 8:00 am when they opened.

At 6:00 am, I called the hospital AGAIN and they said that since I can talk through them, they still recommended that I come to see the doctor at 8:00 am.  The nurse also said that I should walk.  Well, walking was not something I wanted to do...it ranked right behind sitting!  The only comfortable place to sit was on the toilet. 

We got to the doctor's office by 8:15 am, when they were 3 minutes apart.  I was taken into the exam room immediately, but it took the doctor almost an hour to come see me.  My water broke while I was standing in the exam room.  When he finally examined me, his eyes got HUGE and he said, "You're having this baby!"  Really???  Duh???  There was no time for me to get dressed; they put me in a wheelchair, threw a blanket over me, and took me to the delivery room.  I was at 10 centimeters.  Too late for an epidural.  No IV, no pain medicine at all!

Baby Eliana Grace was born just a few hours later.  They had predicted an 8 pound baby.  Fortunately for all natural childbirth, she was 6 lbs, 11 oz and 19.5 inches.  I was diagnosed with GD and was diet-controlled, so I am so thankful for a smaller baby as I can't imagine going natural with a large one.  She is perfect in every way.  No problem with her sugars or any of the things that they said could happen since I am "AMA".

So, FYI....contractions can take place solely in your upper thighs...who knew????

Re: Eliana has arrived! (Just a week late with post)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"