Baby Showers
Options

Is it too early to offer?

One of my friends just got her BFP over the weekend and I would love to offer to throw her a baby shower. Is it too early to offer? I love planning parties so I am super excited for this. I will be out of the country starting January due to a deployment so she would have to have it before then.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is it too early to offer?

• Options

It's sweet that you are so excited for her, but yes, it is too soon.

I would wait until at least the end of her first trimester to discuss throwing a shower.  It also sounds like the timing may be a problem.   If she just got her BFP I'm guessing she's not due until May.  December is both early for a shower and a really hectic month for most people.

image Grayson's side-eye
  • Options
    imageBelichick:

I would wait until at least the end of her first trimester to discuss throwing a shower.  It also sounds like the timing may be a problem.   If she just got her BFP I'm guessing she's not due until May.  December is both early for a shower and a really hectic month for most people.

Agreed on both counts.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCeridwen21:
    imageBelichick:

Agreed on both counts.

Make it three. I agree, too.

• Options
    imageBelichick:

I agree w/ this too.  While it's great taht you're excited, it may not be feasible for you to host a shower for her.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

As soon as I told my BFFs that I was pregnant, they asked to plan a shower.  Actually, I don't think they asked they just said - Oh good, we get to throw another shower.  LOL.  (We like to throw parties).  Granted, I waited until 12 weeks to tell anyone.  But I didn't think it was too soon.  We didn't start actually discussing the shower and possible dates until much later though.

So I guess I'm in the minority - I don't think it is too early to let her know that you would like to host one.  She can then refer anyone else who offers to host to you to coordinate.

But I do think January may be too early to have a shower for someone who just got a BFP this weekend.  I would wait until the end of the second trimester/beginning of third trimester to host the shower at the earliest. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After a couple of months you could certainly let her know you'd love to host a shower for her but you think it would be too soon to hold it in December.  Maybe before your deployment you could get a few friends together and go to lunch/dinner together.
  • Options
    Aww I think it'd be sweet to offer but since the offer comes with a time constraint it might be kind of a hassle :/ When do you leave in January? If you could have it after the holidays then it might be okay...
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." -J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
  • Options

I agree, it's too soon. That's great that you like to throw parties but it seems like you're worrying more about you in this.

By far wait until she's further along. Lots can happen in the first trimester.

Ettiquette wise I believe you're supposed to wait until your 3rd trimester for showers. Guests might think it's tacky her being so early and you throwing a shower.

She might want to do genderized gifts and it's too soon to know. Plus you might be rushing her period... Sometimes it's a lot to handle finding out you're pregnant. Let alone having to rush to register because your friend is worried about a shower too early. Let her digest and get a feel for what products she'll even want.

I hate to say it, but if you'll be gone then someone else might have to stand up and throw this shower. It's just too soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"