Georgia Babies
Options

PT at Daycare Update: Anyone use waterproof pants?

Hi ladies!  DH dropped Brady off at daycare this morning and had a discussion with the director about the whole potty training situation.  They actually were the ones that suggested we send him to school in underwear (so, yay for that!) but they said we need to send him in the waterproof/rubber pants over the underwear until he starts telling them when he needs to go.  So, have any of you used these?  Where should I get them?  TIA!
Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
my blog

Re: PT at Daycare Update: Anyone use waterproof pants?

• Options
    Target has Gerber waterproof underwear in 2t-3t and they work but are so big, bulky, and have a plastic outside protective layer. You do not want him to wear under clothes because they are huge and will make him sweat.  Target also has Gerber training underwear (3 pack) that have an extra padding in them for accidents.  I like them a lot better because they look like regular underwear and are not bulky.
  • Options

Ditto, Missmlp. Hanna Andersson also has extra thick training pants. It sounds odd to me that they'd request the waterproof pants. You might suggest to them just putting a pull-up on the outside of the underwear or vice versa.

Our daycare just asks parents to bring in lots of extra undies and clothes. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used them w/ Emma.  They have them at Target.  I got some when I PT'd Tess but we ended up not using them.
  • Options
    That is so weird that they'd ask for u to put him in a waterproof pants. Why cant they just change him more often if he has an accident? I would think that as he gets better at PT, the changing will reduce. I just find it a lil bit of a waste to invest on pants. Most kids in a daycare setting, will usually pick up on PT fast. Brady is a smart kid, he'll get it!
  • Options
    I would not do the waterproof pants but I would do the cotton training pants that are a little more absorbant. I'm sorry, but I think it's odd for a daycare to request this.  Potty training is something they should be pros at and cleaning up messes is just part of the deal. To me, waterproof pants are the same as diapers and part of the learning process is not only FEELING the wetness but seeing it as well.  Also, that is just one more thing for him to have to pull off when he does need to go potty and I am against adding any obstacles during the learning process.  I would just send him in training pants and send plenty of extra clothes.

• Options

Yes, I also found it odd that they suggested the waterproof pants.  I wondered if it was an issue of being sanitary more so than not wanting to clean up a mess.  DH was the one who talked to them about it so I'll have to ask some more questions.  He does so well at home in underwear that I really think it would only take a week or so before he "gets it" at school if he is in underwear.  So, whatever we do I want him to know he is in big boy pants and be able to feel it when he goes.  Supposedly if we put the waterproof pants over the underwear he would still be able to feel it, but it is true that he wouldn't be able to see it so I'm not sure if that would matter or not...  I thought about the training pants but I really don't want to use anything that is absorbant because I wanted him to feel like he is in regular underwear since that's what he wears at home.

This is the first issue we've ever had with our daycare not being totally accommodating and it's surprising because we really expected them to be the experts on potty training.  

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • Options

To follow up to my last post: 

The below link are the waterproof pants and as you can see they are bulky and not something you can even put under clothes.  I would use these around the house but the 2t package were more like the size of 3t/4t. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017RXSX6/ref=asc_df_B0017RXSX61676309?smid=AL3IDMZDJ9OYT&tag=shopzilla_mp_1404-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0017RXSX6

The second link below are the training underwear and I love them because they are pretty much underwear.  DS has had accidents in them and he definitely knows they are wet and can feel the wetness.  These were the best.  Now that he is fully potty trained he still uses them since they are technically underwear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029TV6I0/ref=asc_df_B0029TV6I01677442?smid=AIBDNAY1LZ1ZY&tag=shopzilla_mp_1406-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0029TV6I0

• Options
    imageMrsKLB:

I thought about the training pants but I really don't want to use anything that is absorbant because I wanted him to feel like he is in regular underwear since that's what he wears at home.

This is the first issue we've ever had with our daycare not being totally accommodating and it's surprising because we really expected them to be the experts on potty training.  

The training pants that we used were gerber I think?  From Walmart.  Anyway, they really do feel like normal underwear- just a little thicker in front.  They aren't going to hold in a full out pee, but if its just a tinkle and he catches it, he'll know he's wet but it won't soak his clothes. 

I totally get your frustration here- I felt the same way.  Go in and talk to them yourself and really stress that he's got it down at home.  Tell them about all the techniques you use at home and ask them what they do there so that you can both try to be consistant.  I would really have to refuse the waterproof pants though.  That's just going backwards and is bound to confuse him.

• Options
    Some schools require them for some reason....I remember another friend on here with a kiddo Harrison's age that was required to do that.  Our school used Pull Ups for the interim stage.  Good luck to you....2 is really early for a boy!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"