Health & Exercise
Options

How Often Do You Weight Train?

I've been getting back into cardio (running) just fine, but I'm noticing my arms are a little more..um..wiggly...than they were before.  I want to start a strength training program and with my running schedule it looks like I can fit in in twice a week.  Is that enough to make a difference?  Do I need to do 3 times a week?

TIA

photo Untitled-1_zps25768757.jpg 

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How Often Do You Weight Train?

• Options

first off your daughter is gorgeous! Congrats.

You should strengh train 2-3 times a week. if you only have time for two make sure its total body heavier weights.

Here is what I do:

Monday: Weight train. I have been doing the Get ripped in 30. Total body.

Tuesday: walk 3 miles

Wednesday: Weights

Thursday: Walk

Friday: DVD or walk

Saturday: teach a muscle class which is an hour.

Sunday: off or yoga.

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • Options

Three times a week is best on a 10 day rotation...  Arms, legs, back/bi's, posterior chain, repeat...  Also, refuse to allow yourself to lift weights that are lighter than your child!!!  The idea is to add muscle, women do not "bulk" like men because they have 20x more testosterone in their bodies than we do, so do not be afraid of muscles.  Strength training is all about resistence and you aren't going to get it from the 10lbers. 

Last week I was training squats (315lbs.) when one of the trainers was next to me with the 25lbers on the deadlift bar and she was doing them without any strong breaths, or "work"..  In other words, completely wasting her time...  Myself and one of my training partners suggested she put the 45's on instead - sure enough she did those the same way and we said "go ahead and add some more weight" to which she chickened out.  That said, she realized that the heavier weight wasn't going to hurt her or make her "bulky".  Instead it was only giving her a more proper resistence to keep her results coming.  We also worked on her form a bit because she was doing "romanians" instead of full deadlifts. 

If you have the opportunity, link up with the powerlifters training at the gym, they'll give you good feedback on your form and help you not get injured while doing it.  Rarely do you see powerlifters actually injured while in the gym, it's out in the real world that most of their injuries happen. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I weight train 3 or 4 times a week depending on the splits I have set up for that week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Can't make it to the gym or struggling with finding the time? You child can help you tone those arms. Think about how much you have to carry with you when you go to the doctor's office for check ups. In one arm carry the infant seat, in the other the diaper bag. Alternate going in and out of the office. If you want to add a little extra weight to the diaper bag, put a full nalgene in. Even use water bottles as weights at home. That is if you are looking to tone and not gain a lot of muscle. There is a lot you can do without leaving the comfort of your home.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Before I got pregnant, I used to weight train twice a week with 20lbs weights at home for about 20 minutes with stretches in between and all kinds of variations with the weights. Now I do more gentle exercises. In addition to your cardio, I really think that twice a week should be enough to tone your arms, the weights simply need to be heavy enough to really make an impact. You are looking at less reps, more weight because of your time restriction and because you don't do it as often.

I know that twice a week is a whole lot more than most people do so I also think you shouldn't stress if twice a week is what fits your schedule!

Isabella  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"