Houston Babies
Options

an at what age question about nakedness

DH and I split bedtime duties. A prefers I put her to bed so he does bath time. She washes herself but he helps with hair and chats with her and stuff. Someone said to me that the mom should be the one to do that because it's innappropriate now. She's 4.5 and I don't think it's innappropriate. If he was bathing with her or naked in front of her it would be one thing, but he's not.

At what age should a dad stop seeing his daughter naked? (ok phrased like that the question sounds creepy). Is it different for a mom and son? Is it different for the same sex parent/child combo?

-Clare
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: an at what age question about nakedness

• Options

IMO, it's if/when the child feels uncomfortable being seen naked in front of the parent or at/around puberty. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

I agree, when the kiddo feels uncomfortable with it.  Abbie is ok with DH seeing her naked, but barely.  She usually asks him to close his eyes or turn around, etc.  Sometimes she forgets to be modest though and says nothing.  If she needs help washing her hair or something in the shower, she always asks for me.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's harder for dads/daughters than mothers/sons. I fully expect to be wiping my kids butts until they are 13... sigh. But I think as a parent, your DH still has responsibilities that make being around a naked child necessary and you can't be there all the time. I think when she is fully capable of doing everything for herself, and then when she feels more modest, then that is the time but she is still young.
  • Options
    I was raised by my dad and we stopped when I felt uncomfortable doing being naked in front of him.  I don't remember what age that was but I also don't remember there ever being any awkwardness either.  I'd let it just work out naturally
  • Options

When DH and I were engaged, SS was 7 and he was really just getting into privacy/modesty at that age. DH had to suggest to him that he wear a towel or robe while walking from the shower back to his room because SS had no problem strolling down the hall nekkid. SS over the years has tended to be a little late with emotional/maturity maturity, so I'd guess 6ish for most kids.

- Jena
  • Options

My DH never helps with the bath, but he sees M naked sometimes.  It's less about a naked/appropriate issue and more about dividing tasks - I help with bath; he takes out the trash...

She has very little modesty yet so seeing her naked is going to happen.  But she is noticing differences in body parts so she doesn't see him naked any more.  I expect since she can't see him she will soon say he can't see her - it is a natural progression.  But he is going to have to help her when I go out of town on business in a couple of weeks.  I hope i don't come home to a stinky kid!

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • Options
    I agree with others about her feeling modest. I mean, Hannah and Sam both still run around naked after their baths, acting crazy. Them seeing each other naked has always been more of a concern for me, since they've become aware of the differences in their bodies. While I wait for them to become modest around one another, I just make sure to be present while they're naked around one another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"