Potty Training
Options

DD will not tell you when she needs to go

We have been PTing for about 3 weeks now and she is doing great. When she needs to go she runs to her potty on her own, doesn't need reminders and is having minimal accidents. My concern is that she isn't telling us she needs to go. I can ask her a million times a day if she needs to go pee or poo and she will always say no and two minutes later she will be running to the potty or peeing her pants. Taking her anywhere is so stressful. She does not like to sit on the potty when prompted to and even cries and fusses if I have to "force" her to sit (knowing that she needs to go).

Is this normal? Am I pushing her too hard? Thanks for your advice :)

Re: DD will not tell you when she needs to go

• Options
    Maybe you should give her some more time and take it slowly. I tried now and then with DS until he decided it was time (23 months).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was having this problem with my DS.

Now every time I put his underwear on, I remind him that we don't pee in underwear and just say "remember to tell me if you need to go potty."

What also helped was telling him "before we do ___, we need to try to go potty." Setting it up so that we always go potty before we go outside, before we leave the house, and before bedtime/naptime made it so that he doesn't have to worry as much about when to go and how to react.

My son started trying to potty train his baby doll, and would put it on the potty and clap for it. I encouraged it because now when I put his underwear on, we can put them on the baby, and instead of bugging him about it I can tell the baby "tell me or Tristan if you need to go potty," and that way he was getting the message too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds very similar to my son.  What works for us is keeping the ball in his court.  DS will tell you "no" no matter what question you ask him.  I could ask him if he wanted a chocolate chip cookie covered in ice cream and he'd say "no."  So I don't even bother asking him if he needs to go potty anymore.  Instead, I simply say, "remember your potty is in the bathroom if you need it!"  And I say it often.  This keeps the thought in the forefront of his mind and also completely does away with the power struggle.  Which is the whole point of him saying "no" in the first place - it isn't so much him trying to tell me he doesn't need to pee, it is him trying to exert control over the situation.

Also, I agree with the pp.  There are times where "potty sitting" (as we call it in our house) is mandatory - e.g. before naps and bedtime and before we leave the house and when we first wake-up from a nap or bedtime.  But we keep these upbeat.  There is no asking him if he needs to go at these specific times.  Instead it is, "potty time!" said in a very upbeat and excited way and we lead him or carry him to the bathroom.  What helps us with these mandatory times is either singing a song (specifically the "it's potty time, gotta get down low . . . " song as sung by Elmo's Dad in the Elmo potty time DVD) or reading his "potty story" (a.k.a. Once Upon a Potty).  These two things make the mandatory times much easier because it adds some fun to it.  HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image~Kitty~:

We have been PTing for about 3 weeks now and she is doing great. When she needs to go she runs to her potty on her own, doesn't need reminders and is having minimal accidents. My concern is that she isn't telling us she needs to go. I can ask her a million times a day if she needs to go pee or poo and she will always say no and two minutes later she will be running to the potty or peeing her pants. Taking her anywhere is so stressful. She does not like to sit on the potty when prompted to and even cries and fusses if I have to "force" her to sit (knowing that she needs to go).

Is this normal? Am I pushing her too hard? Thanks for your advice :)

We're in the same place.  DD never ever actually tells us she needs to go.  She will go to the potty on her own but when she has on any kind of clothes she pees/poos in them because she doesn't tell me and can't get them off on her own.  I don't know... I'll keep watch on this post.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    since your DD is only newly 2 yrs old i wouldn't push too hard.  She's still probably figuring things out herself.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"