D.C. Area Babies

what to do with baby gear?

We have everything from DS.  We're doing ivf and hoping to have another one, but at this point we're close to the point where we'll either hve a baby or get rid of everything. I went through DS's clothes the other day looking for things to donate.  I have a couple questions and wondered what you guys would do.

1. infant car seat purchased in early 2008.  It was left in our garage for the year we lived in Phoenix.  Outside temps reached 120 and I'm sure our garage got even hotter.  Is this car seat still safe?  Should I toss it?

2. Bassinet that was in our garage and is now in our basement.  Assuming I can wash all the cloth parts, is it still safe or should I junk it?  It's a Kolcraft one and basically cloth over metal tubing.

3. Crib mattress--is there any concern about SIDS with old mattresses?  Once we moved DS into a toddler bed it went into a closet, now it's on the floor of our guest room.  DS likes to jump on it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what to do with baby gear?

• Check the manufacturer's date on the car seat.  Most manufacturers have "expiration dates" 5 years after the manufacture date.  I would toss it since it has been exposed to extreme heat, which could compromise the durability and stability of the structure over time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • car seat does not expire til 2013 but you may want to call the manufacturer about the heat, that's questionable in my book

I think the bassinet is still good

since DS jumps on the mattress, I'd toss it 

• Loading the player...
  • You'll have to keep it for at least another 9 months if you were to get pregnant today.

I'd toss the car seat and crib mattress.  You can buy non-fancy new ones for a total of $200-300. 

• From what I know, the 5 yrs on car seats is because of damage heat can do. Cars get VERY hot inside, hotter than a garage. So, I would guess that yours is still safe. I think calling the manufacturer is a good idea.

I don't see any reason why the bassinet or mattress would be bad, as long as both are still firm sleeping surfaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"