VBAC

Ugh! They want me to schedule c/s "just in case"

I go to a large metro OB practice that I really like and they have done many successful VBAC's.  That said, some of the doctors are more supportive than others.  At my appointment today doc advised that I should schedule a c/s for 40 weeks because they don't want me to go past my due date.  I held her off for now. 

Honestly I think the AMA thing is what is causing them stress (I'm 42.)  While I wouldn't hesitate if my baby were in any kind of danger, I just think they are being overly cautious.  I've had a normal CVS and several ultrasounds and the baby is fine.  I passed my GT, my blood pressure is great, and I have no other risk factors.  

I just wanted to post on here to vent to you ladies who would understand.  Not planning to change practices now, but I'm hoping to get some positive feedback that things can still work out OK.

Thanks for reading!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ugh! They want me to schedule c/s "just in case"

• My OB schedules a c-section at 41 weeks.  Unfortunately, my 41 week mark lands on Labor Day.  The Friday before is booked, so they have me at the Thursday before labor day...hopefully my LO will make his natural arrival prior to that.  My due date is one week from today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know much about how the AMA pregnancy varies, but it sounds like you and baby are in absolutely perfect health. Was the OB you saw today less of a VBAC proponent? Good for you for holding off for now. Even if there was a real reason you couldn't go past 40 weeks you would still have plenty of time to schedule. Maybe talk to your preferred doc soon about whether the 40 week deal is the one OB's preference or their actual group policy? GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCAM2007:
    My OB schedules a c-section at 41 weeks.  Unfortunately, my 41 week mark lands on Labor Day.  The Friday before is booked, so they have me at the Thursday before labor day...hopefully my LO will make his natural arrival prior to that.  My due date is one week from today.

Really?!  They can't give you until the day after Labor Day?  That's too bad.

OP- good job standing your ground.  I hope you get a more supportive OB at you next visit to discuss with.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Just my 2 cents here, but I would firmly tell your Dr. that you are unwilling to schedule a c/s for 40 if you and baby are healthy.  They would be making you have a completely unnecessary surgery.  If I would have been in your shoes, I would not have had the chance for my VBAC baby to show up when he was ready, perfectly healthy, at 41 weeks.

• Oh, and also, if they do "make" you schedule, you don't have to show up.  Or call that morning and say that you don't feel well.  No one can deny you care and no one can force you into surgery.
  • imageblf722:
    Oh, and also, if they do "make" you schedule, you don't have to show up.  Or call that morning and say that you don't feel well.  No one can deny you care and no one can force you into surgery.

Actually if you are noncompliant with their care plan, they can refuse to take care of you and your insurance can refuse to cover the cost of your delivery.  So be careful - I wouldn't just not show up, I'd talk to one of the more supportive doctors and get a plan that you agree with and get it documented in your chart.

• my practice is very supportive of vbac ... the only caveat is their policy is to not let AMA mothers go past 41 weeks.  so if it's around 39 weeks, and i show no signs of readiness ... i'm pretty sure they will ask me to schedule a c/s 'just in case' ...
  • My doc schedules for the end of 41 weeks, so you are on their schedule for a l/d day.  I personally wouldnt get all worked up about it, there comes a point where the baby needs to come out one way or another.  I would rather be scheduled for my doctors day then a doctor I have never met. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageshihtzu51:

imageblf722:
    Oh, and also, if they do "make" you schedule, you don't have to show up.  Or call that morning and say that you don't feel well.  No one can deny you care and no one can force you into surgery.

Actually if you are noncompliant with their care plan, they can refuse to take care of you and your insurance can refuse to cover the cost of your delivery.  So be careful - I wouldn't just not show up, I'd talk to one of the more supportive doctors and get a plan that you agree with and get it documented in your chart.

Under federal law, any Medicare participating hospital in the US is legally obligated to provide care for women in active labor or having a medical emergency.  So the hospital can't deny her care, even if she refuses to have the scheduled c/s at 40 weeks. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    imageshihtzu51:

imageblf722:

Under federal law, any Medicare participating hospital in the US is legally obligated to provide care for women in active labor or having a medical emergency.  So the hospital can't deny her care, even if she refuses to have the scheduled c/s at 40 weeks. 

This is correct.  No hospital, doctor, or insurance company can FORCE you to undergo a procedure.  And they can't leave a laboring woman in the parking lot because they are mad she refused an unnecessary surgery.  I am not saying she should just not show up, I am saying she should talk to them and explain to them outright that she isn't consenting unless it is medically needed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:
    imageiris427:
    imageshihtzu51:

imageblf722:

This is correct.  No hospital, doctor, or insurance company can FORCE you to undergo a procedure.  And they can't leave a laboring woman in the parking lot because they are mad she refused an unnecessary surgery.  I am not saying she should just not show up, I am saying she should talk to them and explain to them outright that she isn't consenting unless it is medically needed.

Yep. All of this. But FWIW, why bother even agreeing to schedule it? YOU are the mother and have the right to say "I DO NOT CONSENT."  I'm also AMA (but having a home birth VBAC), and my MW isn't the least concerned about my age (I'll be 40 just shortly after the baby is born).  She knows I'm healthy & whatnot...and is willing to "push the dates" a bit even if we need to.

• I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all of the comments.  My DH and I have discussed hiring a doula with VBAC experience and I think we may do it.  And I plan to talk frankly with my doc at the next appointment.  Thanks ladies!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A doula is a great idea!  GL!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"