April 2011 Moms
Options

Scout

I love reading your blog. I smile; I laugh; I cry; I nod my head in agreement all the time.

I'm not one to comment often on blogs, but I wanted you to know that I am a regular reader :)

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

Re: Scout

• Options

Aw, thanks Embarrassed

I feel like it got a little out of hand last week (and very much my own fault for that). But that's kind of the risk of the Interwebz.

• Options

I would love a play-by-play of the Panera crazy-lady formula lecture. Wink

ETA: Who the heck is SallyX? Bumpie?

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Panera Incident went as follows:

Me: :::mixing powder into bottle:::

Crazed Lactivist: OMG Tell me you are not feeding that innocent baby formula

Me: I'm not, it's powder vodka (note: Total lie, I actually went "uh...."

CL: I hope you tried very hard and have a serious medical condition that leaves you with no other choice.

Me: Yeah, I have a serious case of I'llCutANoseyBitchItis (Note: Total lie, I actually went "uh....")

CL: Formula is nothing better than rat posion. I seriously believe someone should report you for child abuse. Wow.

:::she walks away:::

Me: :::jumps off chair and shanks her::: (Total lie, I actually fought back tears and gave DD her bottle.)

To be fair, a lovely woman sitting next to me got up, came over and put her hand on my shoulder while this was happening, and then told the woman to go away.

She gave me a big hug and told me not to let it bother me.

It wasn't the woman's opinion that upset me, it was more that she would come up to me while I'm holding my little girl and be hateful. DD totally got upset because I was upset, and that just pisses me off.

Of course I have stockpiled several excellent responses for next time, should such a thing happen again.

But I'm guessing "uh...." will be the best that I can spit out in the moment. 

• Options

Please do share said witty responses. I cringe every time someone asks me if I'm breastfeeding because I never know what their reaction is going to be and I hate feeling like I need to defend myself. I always end up over-explaining, and then I get mad at myself for doing it lol.

I'm sorry she made you feel that way, though. That's really shiitty.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I would love to hear them too. I have had several incidents (one at the doctors that was so upsetting I still replay it) when people tell me off about formula. Like Sarah, I always find myself over explaining or I just want to lie.
  • Options
    ooooh boy this makes me so mad for you! If I had been there, I promise you, I would have throat punched her and called her quite a few awful names. ugh.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options

Eh, the replies range in maturity from "thank you for your opinion, have a blessed day" to "fvck you in your fvcking face." I have had one other exchange with someone on this topic - though that person was much more civil - and I liked my response then: "I formula feed for several reasons that make sense to our family. How I feed my child really is no one's concern but mine, and the same is true for how you feed yours." They sort of took that okay; the conversation ended at least and it was a lot better than "uh......"

But that was when I was buying formula, and DD was with her dad in another aisle of Target. If DD hadn't been in my arms at Panera, I might have engaged more, but I sort of short circuited because I was thinking "is this really happening, what if she's a nut job, can't swear in front of the baby, can't yell and scare the baby, do they have anymore of those cinnamon bread freebies for when this is over?"

I don't think this is the norm, and I know mothers of all feeding-philosophies would be horrified by that behavior.

Also, I know moms who breastfeed get it ten times worse in public from stupid people. I guess all we can do is come to the defense of other mothers if we see them being harassed - regardless of if we totally agree with their choice of feeding method.

• Options
    People are idiots. I find it annoying when people ask me if I'm BFing (and I am) bc it's none of their d@mn business. And even when they ask, I don't know if they are asking because they think it's a good thing or if they think it is gross (bc I have gotten both responses). I wish everyone would mind their own business and just be happy that these babies are healthy, happy and being fed by their loving mothers (or fathers). Plus, what if you are FF because you tried to BF and it didn't work and you are really upset about it? Or your baby is adopted and BFing isn't possible for you? I know someone who couldn't breastfeed because she had a double mastectomy and no longer had breasts with which to feed. Not saying those are better reasons than just choosing to FF, but when someone butts into your life, they really have no idea what they are talking about!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageScout05:

Eh, the replies range in maturity from "thank you for your opinion, have a blessed day" to "fvck you in your fvcking face."

Also, I know moms who breastfeed get it ten times worse in public from stupid people. I guess all we can do is come to the defense of other mothers if we see them being harassed - regardless of if we totally agree with their choice of feeding method.

LMAO and Amen. 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Just wanted to butt in and say sorry that happened to you, scout :( that is really awful. People have some nerve and I just don't get it.
  • Options

Seriously!! This made me so angry for you.  I would have had the same Uh response as well.  Thank Goodness you are an intelligent and rational woman.  I seriously think someone should have tackled her in  the alley behind Panera.

I am sorry that you had to deal with a crazy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just continue to be amazed at how people that don't even know a person or their situation feel the need to comment on any aspect of their parenting.  Wow, I'm just so sorry she had the nerve to say that, especially when you were with your DD. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"