Minnesota Babies
Options

Anyone done a consignment sale? Pricing Help!

I just signed up for the Lakeville From Yours to Mine sale in Sept. Any tips and tricks? I really just want to get rid of the stuff, so I want to price on the lower end but also not too low.

I have 2 halloween costumes that I really want to get rid of but don't want to lose money on. What would you pay for a baby Halloween costume never used? And a 12 month worn once but bought used?

"imageimage
The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog

Re: Anyone done a consignment sale? Pricing Help!

• Options

When you do a consignment sale, people are looking for cheap prices.  What else makes it worth the gas to go to them.  If you are looking to make the most money from a few pieces like these Halloween costumes, I would wait until the beginning of October and list them on Craigslist for the price you want.  Demand will be high, and you'll cater to people who are specifically searching for that item and willing to pay a little more rather than just choosing to pick it up while their at the sale.

All other items it really depends on quality.  If you paid good money for something and it's still in good shape, definitely ask for it.  I've paid as little as .50 cents for baby clothing and up to $5.00 at a sale because it was name brand and looked new.  If someone really wants something at a sale they can always bargain with you, right? Smile

If you do choose to sell your Halloween costumes at the sale, I'm not sure I would pay more than $7 - $10.00.  

What weekend is the sale?

• Options
    I've seen stuff priced between $2 - $8 at JBF consignment sales. Sometimes more if it's name brand or a jacket. If you can pick up your items after you can always put what you want and then if it doesn't sell put it on Craigs list.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMeganC1255:
      I've paid as little as .50 cents for baby clothing and up to $5.00 at a sale because it was name brand and looked new. 

Thanks for posting this!

I just finished pricing baby clothes for a garage sale next weekend, and was nervous about my pricing.

If it had a stain (but still wearable) I put 25 cents

Walmart/Target type brand clothing I put 25 cents on single pieces

Carters/Old Navy/Baby Gap I put 50 cents to $1 based on the article of clothing for single pieces

Dresses (dress & butt cover) are $1.50 - $2.50 depending on brand/condition

Full outfits (3+ pieces)  are $2 - $5 depending on brand/condition (most of my Gymboree outfits are in great condition, and are complete outfits so I didn't think $5 was out of line)

Anything look out of line?  My goal is to get rid of stuff, but I don't want to cheat myself out of cash either. 

OP, I know consignment sales are different than garage sales, but hopefully my pricing gives you a clue.

I have 2 Halloween costumes in the sale - one is worn-once and I put $1.50 on it (Ariel) the other is Cinderella NWT and I put $3 on it

• Options

Becca - I think yours is priced pretty well for a garage sale. I would bump up Target items to 50 cents if good condition/Old Navy bump down to 50 cents.

Gap and Carters would consider bump up to $1 also depending on item and condition.

At a consignment sale I would at least double or triple the prices listed by Becca. Less if you really just want to get rid of everything.

Costumes depending on costume and original cost etc - would price $5 to $15.

Consigments you can get quite a bit more than garage sales. I go to sales every weekend - I would snatch up everything 50 cents and under in good conditon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBeccaMarie:

imageMeganC1255:
      I've paid as little as .50 cents for baby clothing and up to $5.00 at a sale because it was name brand and looked new. 

Thanks for posting this!

I just finished pricing baby clothes for a garage sale next weekend, and was nervous about my pricing.

Carters/Old Navy/Baby Gap I put 50 cents to $1 based on the article of clothing for single pieces

Full outfits (3+ pieces)  are $2 - $5 depending on brand/condition (most of my Gymboree outfits are in great condition, and are complete outfits so I didn't think $5 was out of line)

Anything look out of line?  My goal is to get rid of stuff, but I don't want to cheat myself out of cash either. 

OP, I know consignment sales are different than garage sales, but hopefully my pricing gives you a clue.

I have 2 Halloween costumes in the sale - one is worn-once and I put $1.50 on it (Ariel) the other is Cinderella NWT and I put $3 on it

I must be super out of touch because those prices seem extremely low to me. I'm a penny-pincher, and I would feel like I struck gold with your stuff. I reallllly think you could get more for your stuff!!

• Options

I usually sell at my Mother's of Multiples sale, and our general guideline is about 30% of retail cost, then adjust up or down based on condition, and what seems reasonable for the specific item.  I've done really well using this tactic.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options
    imagecinderellabella:
    imageBeccaMarie:

imageMeganC1255:

Thanks for posting this!

I must be super out of touch because those prices seem extremely low to me. I'm a penny-pincher, and I would feel like I struck gold with your stuff. I reallllly think you could get more for your stuff!!

I agree! 

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options
    imagecinderellabella:
    imageBeccaMarie:

imageMeganC1255:

Thanks for posting this!

Oh that is a great base. It is a minimum of $1, so nothing cheaper then that.

The sale is the last Fri and Sat or Sept.

"imageimage
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
  • Options

With the JBF sale they have min prices on some things, anything on a hanger can't be cheaper then $3. I know this might sound odd but I like shopping at Consignment sales over GSales as I know I am more likely to find higher quality stuff. 

(p.s. Carrie if you need hangers let me know I still have some extras you can have)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"