2nd Trimester
Options

White Water Rafting at 20 weeks...Is that ok?

So this is my first post, I am now at 17 weeks, first time. My BEST friend is turning 30 and wants to go white water rafting and zip lining for her b-day in 3 weeks. It's not going to be intense rapids, but I was still wondering if it would be safe for baby to go. All suggestions welcome!

Re: White Water Rafting at 20 weeks...Is that ok?

• Options

Um, I would say no.  And if you are renting, no reputable rental company will let you go.  I couldn't jet ski in Florida when I was 19 weeks. Not that I would have.  What if you fall out and hurt yourself?  The rowing could cause muscle soreness if you are not used to doing it, not to mention RLP.  I just don't think it's worth it.  Same for zip lining.

• Options

Lurker:

I would think that this is a no. Both previous pregnancies he didn't even want me to go on a simple water slide.

IF roller coasters and the like are out, I would say so is white water rafting. 

Sorry, maybe you can be the photographer along the side of the river. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageiluvmylab:

Um, I would say no.  And if you are renting, no reputable rental company will let you go.  I couldn't jet ski in Florida when I was 19 weeks. Not that I would have.  What if you fall out and hurt yourself?  The rowing could cause muscle soreness if you are not used to doing it, not to mention RLP.  I just don't think it's worth it.  Same for zip lining.

This. Tell your friend you can do something with them before or after, like some sort of camping activity brunch or lunch picnic to celebrate. In the course of life birthdays are important to celebrate and be a part of however if it puts physical risk to your child I am sure your friend would not risk your baby for you to participate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i would say NO. my FI wouldnt even let me go on our boat. ( he drives way too fast anyway)  I just dont wanna do anything myself that would potentially harm my baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    with the white water rafting experience I had, I would say absolutely not.  We were hanging onto the ropes on the raft almost the whole time and we did lose a passenger at one point.  Your body is thrown and jerked around a lot!
  • Options

I agree, no this is not something you should be doing while pregnant.  I look at it from this standpoint....if there is a chance I will or can fall on my stomach, hurt my stomach, jolt my stomach, I don't do it. 

But I say ask your doctor, doctors know best.

• Options
    I don't know, i wouldn't take the risk but if your OB is ok with it..
  • Options
    Ask your doc, 1st.  But I bet they'll say No.  The ferris wheel I wanted to ride last month said no pregnant women.  A ferris wheel.  LOL  I think, at 20 weeks, it's prob not the best idea.  There may not be big white, but there's still a chance of being thrown over, which would make me afraid of hitting rocks and such with my belly.  There are too many dangerous variables in rafting.  You wouldn't go on a roller coaster....
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    ask your Doctor first and im 75% sure that companies who manage white water rafting trips wont allow pregnant women in their trips.
  • Options

I think a lot depends on the level of rafting you're planning to do....  If it's like back home where I grew up (Eastern WI)  it was more rafting down a river with a few bumpy spots in the water and no real difficult or challenging rapids or difficulty (we had 65+yo farmers along with us on the trips who had a great time and weren't sore afterwards either)...  That, shouldn't be an issue.  If it's something more complex or tougher rapids, than that, no... 

As for the zip line, no...  bad idea... 

If anything else, you could stay back and do the grilling for when they all get done.  Whatever you do, don't let hormones get the best of you if you opt for this.  From having spent a couple days at a water park not being able to do the slides or for that matter, anything FUN, I know it sucks.  Do what you can do even if it's just simply wading in the water and sipping on a virgin fruity drink...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My gut says no. But then, I'm not a professional. Ask your doc.

Personally, I do know that I went to a water park at 17 weeks, and tried out one of the smoother rides and was still uncomfortable with it, so I stuck to the lazy river and wave pool. I've grown a bit of a bump since then, and I know for sure I would not consider white water rafting, no matter how gentle the rapids, as there's always a chance for tipping over.

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Why risk it?

If she's your best friend she should understand your need to stay safe during your pregnancy. 

Can you plan something else for the two of you to celebrate?

image Grayson's side-eye
  • Options
    If it were simple tubing or floating, I'd go. But any class II rapids or higher, I'd steer clear of. I've been knocked out of my raft on most trips I've been on.

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Options

At this point, I'd say no. I am not sure where you are at but here in CO, it can get a bit crazy. There is always a chance you could fall out and that wouldn't be good. I went to a water park at 10 weeks and went on a few rides that had the big tubes so our whole family fit in. They say to pg ladies and I truly believe that is just for liability but at this point, the baby is growing outside of the protection of your pelvis. I wold be more concerned with falling out and bumping into a rock...or even losing your balance and falling over in the boat...or getting on or off.

Probably not worth the risk.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    I would definitely say no to both.  There are a lot of risks with white water rafting even if it is a low level rapids.  MIL wanted to go rafting when I was in my first trimester and I looked into it.  The company advised against pregnant women rafting, even the family rafting excursions due to the risks involved - unpredictable rapids, dangers if you fell out, weather and water temperature issues.  I told MIL no, she wasn't happy but I was not taking a risk.
  • Options

In my opinion, I say no. As much fun as that trip's gonna be, you need to sit out on all those activiites, it's simply not worth the risk, not even a small one. I encourage you to call your dr in the morning and see what s/he says as well. My guess is, you will be staying home. Sounds like your bestie may not be a mom and therefore has not a clue about what you should be doing at this point in your pregnancy.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely a no-no. Depending on the class of river, you just never know what could happen. Plan something special for her for just the two of you - I'm sure she will completely understand.

• Options
    I don't know anything about water rafting but I would say that it depends on you specifically and your lifestyle. For example, if you are an extremely fit, athletic and adventurous person that has lots of experience with this kind of stuff then you could make the personal choice (along with your doctor's ok) to go. I ride jumping horses and I competed up until last week, and I know many women who ride longer than this. My doctor was cautiously supportive of me riding as long as I trusted my gut on everything. I have decided to take a break now but mostly because I'm feeling lazy these days. That said, I'm sure your friend would understand if you decided to pass on this trip. 
  • Options
    Being athletic has nothing to do with it. Even on milder rapids, there's still a pretty good chance of falling out of (or into) the boat. If you were to hit your abdomen or bump into something too hard, it could cause a placental abruption (a separation of the placenta from the uterine wall), which could cause major problems including possible loss of the baby. I don't think it's worth the risk.
  • Options
    I'm pretty lax when it comes to things (lunchmeat, caffeine, carrying 2 heavy toddlers, etc.) and even I would not risk going. Too many things could go wrong. Tell your friend you're sorry, but it's too risky. Offer a way to celebrate with her when she's back from her trip.
  • Options

imagesunnybrook.:
    I'm pretty lax when it comes to things (lunchmeat, caffeine, carrying 2 heavy toddlers, etc.) and even I would not risk going. Too many things could go wrong. Tell your friend you're sorry, but it's too risky. Offer a way to celebrate with her when she's back from her trip.

This.  Very laid back.  We can add a wee bit of alcohol, soft cheeses, and ibuprofen before 3rd tri to the list, but I wouldn't go white water rafting either.  Sorry.  I know how hard it is when best friends are turning 30, but hopefully she will understand.  

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Options

I went white water rafting between 4-5 weeks pregnant. And I knew about it. Nothing happened but then again it always could have. My DS is 17 mos old and perfect!

What do you ladies think about running? 

• Options
    I wouldn't.....
    imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageoutlierallie:

I went white water rafting between 4-5 weeks pregnant. And I knew about it. Nothing happened but then again it always could have. My DS is 17 mos old and perfect!

What do you ladies think about running? 

I have no problems with running at all, nor would I have a problem with white water rafting that early on when the baby is all tucked inside your pelvis and safe, just when the baby is all out in the open without the added padding that would seem to be problematic. 

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards