September 2011 Moms
Options

First ever call to poison control today :/

And to think we almost made it 4 years without.

DH and DS were watching cartoons together in our room so I decided to take a shower that I didn't have to rush through. I'm almost done and I hear yelling... Umm WTF? I turn the water off and DS comes in crying. Apparently DH ran downstairs for "just a second" to refill his coffee and caught DS chewing on some Tums when he came back up. DH has a bad stomach and keeps them on his nightstand, never an issue before. DS refuses to tell us how many he ate, so we made the call because I was ready to take him to the er in my bathrobe.

Poison control said to give him a lot of water and not allow him any more milk or calcium rich anything. That he would be just fine as long as he didn't eat upwards of 20 (which for sure didn't happen), because that would cause serious vomiting. DS is a ok and I'm a little pissed at DH, but I can understand that accidents happen. Uggh what a day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First ever call to poison control today :/

• Options
    Don't feel bad. I had to call poison control twice in a week for that. And both times my fault. DS got into Tums while I was making breakfast. Then a few days later got into my purse and ate my Pepcid Complete (I was much more concerned with the Pepcid since I can only take 2 a day)

He was fine from both instances. It happens, no worries Mama!!
  • Options
    glad everything turned out okay!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I felt like the worst parent when I had to call. J put the diaper cream tube in his mouth and bit down until there was zinc oxide in his mouth. I caught him mid bite. 

The guy was like, ok, calm down. Wash his mouth out and he's going to be fine... but I was scarred for life. 

• Options
    Yeah, it was really scary and I felt terrible, and felt even worse for DH. He was so worried and felt like the worst dad ever. It's hard not to feel bad, but things happen.
  • Options

Good job in making it to 4!

My SO had to call when my DD was 2 because she was drinking toilet water and I had a cleaning tablet thing in the tank. It was no big deal.

I had to call when DD was around 3 because she ate half a tube of tooth paste. That required eating yogurt but all was still fine.

Poison control is awesome. I never gave them a second thought before having kids and certainly never thought I would need them. I keep their number on my fridge at all times now.

• Options

Family Story:

When my uncle was a toddler, he ate an entire bottle of garlic pills. My grandmother freaked when she found him and called the doctor right away who said that he'd be fine, just smelly. Apparently, my uncle reeked like he was warding off legions of vampires for an entire week.

Kids ingesting strange things in odd quantities is a story throughout the ages.

• Options
    I blame Tums, they shouldnt make them in so many fruity flavors!! But honestly, Im glad you LO one is ok!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Options

Im glad your DS is ok!

I usually changed ds on the bed and one time i stepped like 2feet away to grab more diaper cream since the tube i had was empty, when i turned around, DS had the empty tube in his mouth! He was fine, but it was hard to forgive myself for not watching him close enough. 

And my BIL once ate half a bottle of iron pills and survived...dont know the full story on that tho

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Aw, don't feel too badly.  I think that every parent makes at least one poison control call.

Ours was when DD was about 6 months old and managed to get the band-aid from her vaccination off of her leg and ate it on the way home from her doctor's appointment.  We were worried that the adhesive might make her sick.  The poison control guy was awesome and told us not to worry, and that the band-aid would make its way out, one way or another.  Not even 20 minutes later, she spit up the band-aid.  LOL

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

my angel babies: 6/10 (chem. pg), 9/10 @ 10 weeks
  • Options

I had to call them many times with my DS (hyperactive child, overworked single mother). I had locks on the cabinets and that kid would still find ways to get into things.

Lets see, what was the list?

He drank rubbing alcohol

He ate my sisters Midol

He ate an aloe plant

He ate three roses (actually, did you know you can put roses in salads? totally edible...of course I didn't know that at the time)

He got into the benedryl (slept great...)

He ate moth balls at my grandmothers house

He ate a significant amount of toilet paper. (constipating, but not terrible)

I know it sounds like I was a terrible, neglectful mother, but the fact is, l wasn't. He was just really good at getting into things, and I had several family members who didn't realize it. I swear, I didn't even get to go to the bathroom alone until that child was 5. And even then it always seemed like a huge risk. 

• Options
    Congrats on making it almost 4 years!  We had to call for a similar Tums incident just a couple months back.
  • Options

Ah, it's a terrifying feeling... but it's always better to call than just assume he'll be okay.

I had to call twice- once DS swiped the benedryl bottle while I was rinsing out the cup I had just used to dose him.  Idk how much he drank, but he was only around 18 months, and I freaked.  The second time he was over 2, and for some unknown reason he decided to drink cascade that I had just gotten out to put in the dishwasher.  Both times I was right next to him, and literally it took less than a minute for him to grab the item and drink it.  And both times he was completely okay (thank God!).  

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options

My kid ate one of step-MIL's Ambien pills off her night stand... at least we think it was just one.  She got sleepy, but was fine otherwise.  She was 19 months old.

I called also when she was stung by a wasp (it was on the ground dying amongst her toys and she put her hand on it), because I wasn't sure what kind of reaction to look for.  She was 18 months then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"