Postpartum Depression

Ritalin and PPD

I just wanted to put this out there...I have tried sooo many medications, including zoloft, clomipramine, seroquel, abilify, celexa, lexapro, pristiq, lithium, and the list goes on.

Recently I have been struggling with ZERO motivation to do anything, let alone care for my DD. I couldn't get my butt of the couch to play with her or do any housework, etc. I went to my usual psych appointment and she suggested Concerta (which is a time-released Ritalin) and I wanted to tell you all about the HUGE improvement I have seen with this drug. It is not for everyone, and can be addictive, but right away I felt a huge rush of energy and internal motivation. I played and sang with my DD. I smiled and laughed, it was amazing.

Just wanted to share in case anyone out there is at their last straw like I was. Concerta is a very new treatment for depression so I wanted to raise some awareness. 

Wishing all of you all the best. Feel free to contact me at amanda_braun1@yahoo.ca

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ritalin and PPD

• I'm glad that you have found something that is working!

My situation is different than yours. I suffered from major depression for nearly a decade before getting the right diagnosis of ADHD. Once properly medicated for ADHD, the depression vanished! I understand that feeling of finally finding *something* that works.

I'm curious, do you think that you may have had ADHD prior to your PPD that you were able to unknowingly manage? I had my ADHD managed prior to trying TTC. I was off my ADHD meds (Adderall, at the time) because of the risks of stimulant meds and pregnancy. After my LO was born, my PPD hit me hard and fast. Because of pre-eclampsia/HELLP Syndrome, I had to wait six months to go back on Adderall. Pristiq worked well for me, but it was difficult knowing that there was a medication that works but I could not take it.

I ask only because I am curious about a possible ADHD connection. I am glad that your psychiatrist is working with you to find something that helps. It is so frustrating to try to feel better, only to continue to feel poorly. I saw a number of different psychiatrists during my ten years of depression--I sure wish one of them had worked harder to finding out what the root of my problem was and to find a medication that actually worked. I lived half a life for too long. One psychiatrist got upset with me when I answered he question of, "Do you feel normal?". I had long lost track of what "normal" was. I had no idea. I should have ditched him then and there.

I hope things continue to improve for you!
  • Interesting thought about the ADHD...I really don't think that's what I had, I've never been overly hyper and have never had problems in school with concentrating, etc. Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong symptoms, but I believe that is what one would look for?

I most definitely have signs of ADD because of the depression (can't concentrate, no motivation to get tasks done, etc) but I never really had that before so I don't know if it was pre-existing?? Its a chicken or the egg type of situation. I'm definitely going to look into the ADD symptoms though, just to see...

I find the Pristiq works for me too, but never really resolves the depressive symptoms. I'm a medication cocktail kind of girl because my symptoms are so hard to get rid of. 

Thanks for your input!!

• Loading the player...
  • Wow thank you so much for sharing...I actually have a condition called hypersomnia, and basically it's that my body doesn't realize that it has enough sleep, so I can pretty much fall asleep anytime...it's closely connected to narcolepsy.  The treatment for it is Ritalin...when it is given to a person who does not have ADD/ADHD, it keeps you awake and focused.  I just can't take during pregnancy or while nursing.  I am going to contact my doctor and see if this is an option for me, because I really miss my ritalin!
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"