Minnesota Babies
Options

Heads up about GTGs

I just want everyone to know that if this keeps going, where I plan the GTGs & Set time out of my (somewhat busy  but more crazy) life only to find out no one wants to make it and I could had made other plans. I am going to stop doing it & take down the gtg calender all together. I understand everyone has things going on but all this talk about "how do I find other Mommy groups" then not replying when one is set up is just wrong. Also if the days I pick don't work out for you let me know, I take a shot in the dark when picking dates. I don't have to do this and in all truth I only do it so I have something to do so I am not stuck at home all day and I have no problem stopping what I am doing. 

I understand this might come out harsh but I had to get it out I am tired of doing a lot of work only to get little to NO reply. Last year this worked out great so maybe this is just a summer thing but ether way I am about to call quits.

Thanks for your time 

Re: Heads up about GTGs

• Options
    I'm sorry that you feel this way. I am very rarely on The Bump and know it wasn't directed at me, but I am sure everyone is extra-busy in the summer. Family vacations, time with school-aged children, and just enjoying the weather are probably some reasons why people aren't signing up. With that said, if planning the GTGs are a stressor (or don't seem worth it) for you right now, you should definitely take a break. Smile
  • Options

I totally agree with you.  With the 11 responses below about looking for a mommy group, I thought my request for a play date next week Tuesday would have been met with at least 5 responses or so.  I even left it open ended on where and time to meet, I just picked the day.  Since you are the main organizer on here, I can totally see your frustration.  

Maybe those 11 mommies are looking more for a Mommy support group rather than a kid play date.  Not sure. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I responded to the mom group post below, but I have a 2 month old (and many others had young infants).  We are in a total different situation than those of you with 2+ year olds.

Just saying.

• Options

Sonofa ... I just had a huge reply and my stupid computer felt the need to close my browser.

Anyway, my main points were - I like to connect with moms (SAHMs specifically since I do my work away from my kdis on the weekends) who are nearby and/or have similar age children, preferably both. Thebump local board just doesn't have enough active moms to connect with many people I'm seeking. I have no desire to drive 45 minutes to Maple Grove to hang out with a mom of a newborn.

Secondly, I find it impossible to actually get to know someone when we're chasing multiple children around an already busy location, like the zoo or Toddler Tuesday or anywhere that there are a lot of other people. I'd prefer to save those activities to do with my children and not try to socialize during them. If there were a GTG at a not already busy park that isn't too far away with kids who are close in age to my own and I would make a great effort to attend. Back to my first point, just not enough moms on this site for that to happen.

I completely understand your frustration though! And I hope I don't come off as a batch, just giving honest reasons for why I am not inclined to attend bump GTGs. Maybe take a break and see if anyone else steps up. If not, just keep doing what you're doing of letting people know when you plan to attend events without major expectations of having people join you. You're still getting out and having fun.

imageimage
  • Options

I can completely understand your frustration.  It seems that people are looking, but don't actually want to step up and go to something (myself included sometimes).  I know I've asked about things before, but it seems that the dates or times just don't work for us right now. I'm hoping once ds goes down to 1 nap a day that it will be easier to meet up with people.  I'd love to do more, but it needs to be very close to me in order for me to swing it with nap times and feeding times while still getting all of our other things done everyday.  I did just join MOMS Club in my town to make it easier to get out and do things.  I'm hoping since most activities are within 5-10 minutes of my house I can attend a couple times a month.

Also, I think part of it is age differences. My son isn't walking yet, so it's hard to go to a play area or park for more than a few minutes.  He just climbs all over me and we can do that in our own house or yard.  Kwim? Anyway, maybe one of the moms with infants/pre-walkers needs to step up and organize a coffee date gtg or something of the like for moms looking for support.  

• Options

I'm going to address two of the concerns. 

1. age of children. It doesn't matter. Really. it doesn't. Playgroups with pretty much every group are more for the moms than the children. It's pretty much always been this way. You want to meet other moms? Come. You want to only meet kids the same age as your LO? take an ECFE class or something.

2. TT and the zoo are EXCELLENT places for getting to know other moms. Seriously, they are. I got to know one of my now BFFs by hanging out with her at TT. No one is going to open their home to a group of internet strangers just because they all claim to have children. Places like malls, zoos, parks and the children's museum are all we really have. And parks are out in the winter. If you have a better idea for Patti here, then by all means share it. But it's 100% false that you can not meet/get to know other moms just because other people who aren't involved in the GTG are there. That's just really, really stupid. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was only stating why I personally was not inclined to attend any of the GTGs that have been posted. I didn't say that those reasons were why no one was coming.
    imageimage
  • Options

If you have ideas on where we can meet please post them I have stated many times I don't know the whole TC area (I do know a lot but not all) Also If a time/day does not work for you let me know & maybe we can change it. I am Flying blind when picking GTG times & locations. 

I also understand that summers can be crazy for everyone & I am hoping it gets better once school starts back up.  

Thanks 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"