South Florida Babies
Options

Are you exercising?

Good Morning Bumpers!

Pre-baby I exercised like a mad woman as I have found it is my stress reliever. My doc recommended I cut the high impact classes (kick-boxing, speed cycling, ect.) but said I can continue to run and engage in the same strength training classes as before. I have recently cut back drastically due to all the literature warning about exercises that cause increased body temp and those that incease your heart rate to more than 140 BPM. I am wondering what your thoughts and experiences are? Am I being too paranoid about running and light strenght training?

Re: Are you exercising?

• Options

I would listen to your Drs advice and only do what you feel comfortable doing and don't overdo it. 

I'm doing prenatal yoga, but I wasn't big into exercising before i got pregnant. 

image image

• Options
    Yeah, I would listen to your doctor as well.  You can still run, mabye take up swimming, yoga, or pilates. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been told that if you were exercising pre-pregnancy, you can keep up your routine SO long as you are feeling well enough to do so. Like, you shouldn't be exercising to the point of exhaustion.

I've been taking cardio dance/zumba classes 3-4x a week and in the last week or so, I've noticed my balance is off a bit and I'm getting a little more fatigued. But so long as I can dance (no jumping) I will continue going. It's a mental and physical release for me and I feel that it will help my body prepare for delivery. 

Side note: I have Googled videos of pregnant women who continue dancing at 8-9 months and they look soooo funny. I'd love to keep dancing up until delivery, but I'm sure I'll begin to look a little silly with such a big bump. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yup, your doc is the best person to help you decide what exercise is best for you and your pregnancy condition! As a rule of thumb, doing what you were doing prior to pregnancy is ok except obviously for contact sports or high impact exercises. 

I danced ballet up to my delivery date and I just modified positions, didn't jump after a certain point in my pregnancy and my Ob was ok with this. But I always ran it by her.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I am exercising just like I was before.  I spin 2-3 days a week, do cardio ballet 1 day a week, and do a 1 hour circuit class 1 day a week.  My Dr. said since I exercised alot prepregnancy I can continue these exercises during pregnancy and that my body will tell me when I can't.  She said limit ab workouts to 10 minutes/session, no heavy lifting, and skip the stairs in the circuit training class because I need to make sure I do not fall.  I have a heart rate monitor I've been wearing for years so I've very comfortable monitoring my progress.  She said make sure I don't go anaerobic and is fine with the spinning because having done it for years I can pace myself and make it my own ride.  I ask her regularly am I okay with this, how's my weight gain and I'm fine.  Additionally, when I asked her about prenatal yoga she told me that in her opinion, a person like myself won't find it satisfying. 

Last week my husband and I did a 4 day 40 mile backcountry hike in Iceland and I was totally fine the whole time. If I stopped exercising like I'm used to I never would have been able to do/enjoy it. 

A really great book for a person who considers themself and athlete is Exercising Through Your Pregnancy by James F. Clapp, III MD.  It's a book that is made for someone who is an athlete, I finally felt like I was reading something that applied to me (unlike the exercise chapters in other books). 

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"