Stay at Home Moms

montessori

i will become a SAHM in 6 weeks and I want to refer to montessori curriculum for activities that I can do with my DD

does anyone utilize montessori at home?  any advice on where to get books/activities/resources?

TIA

Re: montessori

• I don't have any suggestions, but can I counter ask you question?

What is it about Montessori that you are so drawn to for your child?  

• imagesusanmosley:

I don't have any suggestions, but can I counter ask you question?

This.  I don't know much about them - Just read their "Philosophy and Practice" statement.  All I can say is... Ew! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagescatteredtrees:
    imageMamatoJackson:
    imagesusanmosley:

This.  I don't know much about them - Just read their "Philosophy and Practice" statement.  All I can say is... Ew! 

Linky?

I went to a Montessori school but my parents are hippies- and I have NO idea what the deal with sending me there was. I kinda assumed it had to do with nature and learning on my own or some crap.

Seems to be totally the opposite of that, but who knows.  https://www.michaelolaf.net/1CW312MI.html

At the top it says "Especially for years 3-12" but then down lower, it says

"The first group is called the "Nido" and consists of children in necessary daycare for working parents. This is age 0-1, or "until walking". The second group is known as the "Infant Community" and is from around one year to age 2-3."

and

"The 3-Hour Work Period: Aft every age, a minimum of one 3-hour work period per day, uninterrupted by required attendance at group activities of any kind is required for the Montessori method of education to produce the results for which it is famous." 

• imagescatteredtrees:
    imageMamatoJackson:
    imagesusanmosley:

Linky?

I went to a Montessori school but my parents are hippies- and I have NO idea what the deal with sending me there was. I kinda assumed it had to do with nature and learning on my own or some crap.

Hey! We're looking into a Montessori charter school for Parker...I really like the idea of children working with other kids (younger and older) to solve problems and work together.  So, I don't think it's crap.  But, I could be convinced that I am a hippie too, so I'm not sure where that leaves us....

• I LOVE dirty hippies.  And can only wish I could be that cool.

With that said, I know a fair amount about Montessori and I don't fully understand its greatness.  I keep meaning to visit some schools so I can try to fully get it, but in the mean time, I keep asking around here....and am left hanging 

• imagescatteredtrees:

I think MtoJ might have found an alternative description. I do know the word "montessori" is no longer protected by copyright and can be slapped on just about any school.

yes, there is no governing board so anyone and everyone can say they are montessori without really doing anything wrong. 

• Scattered- I'm just busting your chops.  I know not too much thought was put into your statement...though I completely respect the different perspectives people bring here.  :D  I appreciate some of your clarification.
  • I must have stumbled upon the wrong site then, like you guys said.  The idea of three hours of classroom instruction for a 1-year old seems a bit ridiculous.  Must be a different montessori...
  • We're sending our son to a Montessori school and it was my understanding that the traditional Montessori model is for kids from 3-6 years old ("Childrens House").  We like it because it will give some structure to his day, so it will act like a transition from now (no structure) to kindergarten, which, in our area, is very highly structured.  I like that it gives the kids freedom to work on whatever "projects" they want to work on.  They call it "work," but really it's just playtime projects.  Yes, there are things like pouring and building with blocks, but there are also more "advanced" math and geography type things.  I think if it's done right, the kids are not bored at all - the idea is that the younger kids will always be challenged by watching the older kids, and the older kids will be challenged both by the nature of the work and also by teaching the younger kids.  One downside, as pp noted, is that it does not have a lot of creative play.  But ours is only 1/2 days, so DS will have plenty of opportunity for creative play outside of school hours.

Anyway, Wikipedia has a decent description of the philosophy.  I think it would be tough to get the full Montessori experience by homeschooling if it's just your child - one of our favorite parts about it is the mixed-age interaction.

• DD went to a montessorri preschool for the last two years. 

What I really liked about it was the idea of helping children be independent.  DD was doing things I hadn't imagined her doing at home -- washing dishes, organizing things, mopping the floor, pouring her juice, making her snack, cleaning up her workspace; etc. 

Everything is child-sized and accessible and the children choose the work area they want to be in each day.  Going outside (even in light rain) is another component my daughter loved.  They planted a garden and would find little animals to look at (frogs and such).

I thought it was great and implemented some of the philosophy at home; especially the idea of teaching her to care for her own needs.  The catalog For Small Hands is a good place (I'm pretty sure they have a website) to start to bring some montessori ideas home.  Good luck.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • No idea on home curriculum, but I just wanted to say that I went to a Montessori preschool and really believe in the method (though a certain age - K or 1st grade). I wanted DS to go to a Montessori preschool, but the one by us is over 30K a year. Insane. Needless to say, he is not going there, lol.

• JCMJCM member
    Not sure about at home Montessori books but DD will be starting at a Montessori school on Tuesday.  She will be going 2 days a week & we are very excited.  Maybe to find at home info you could look up books approved by either the American Montessori Society and the International Montessori Society.  
  • Thanks ladies

im looking to take some things from the montessori approach and weave it with another curriculum model to create intentional learning opportunities

i do love that montessori does focus on teaching to the full potential of the child and that they encourage independence

i did find a website that for a small fee you get access to lessons plans and materials based on the montessori philosophy (sandpaper alphabet cards, quantity tiles)

thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"