Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Gripe Water vs Mylicon Drops

Do both do the same thing?  Which do you find better?

When my DS seems gassy i've been using the mylicon drops.  Seems to work most of the time, but there are times he's still fussy and seems gassy

Wondering if gripe water does the same thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gripe Water vs Mylicon Drops

• I think they might be, actually.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From what I've heard, gripe water works great for hiccups and calming, while mylicon drops are more for gas. My pedi won't endorse gripe water because it's not medicinal, but he said it's probably not harmful and to use them if I want to.
    DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • they aren't the same thing, but they're supposed to do the same thing. 

However - if the mylicon is working, stick with that. Gripe water seems to work better for us (Mylicon always gives her the hiccups and just makes her more upset!) but gripe water has really large dosage size and ends up being more expensive and less convenient because of that.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemarchbride32407:
    From what I've heard, gripe water works great for hiccups and calming, while mylicon drops are more for gas. My pedi won't endorse gripe water because it's not medicinal, but he said it's probably not harmful and to use them if I want to.

This...and gripe water is not medicinal, it's made from ginger and something else. Think of it as drinking ginger ale when you have an upset stomach. It also says it's for hiccups and upset stomachs, where Mylicon is medicinal and is strictly for gas.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We do both the mylecon and gripe water. Seems to work well for us.
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• imageHannahsHope:
    We do both the mylecon and gripe water. Seems to work well for us.

We also use both.  We use gripe water mostly at night when little one is having the most issues.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • We had been using both (drops for gas, gripe water for constant hiccups) but the gripe water seems to make our LO lethargic so we stopped using it.  The mylicon drops have been working well by themselves the past few days.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Gas drops are basically the same thing as adult "Gas-X"...but,here's the trick that our pedi told us about...you MUST MUST put them in EACH bottle at every feeding, or, between feeding on each breast give them to LO...if you wait to give them when gas starts to appear, it will do nothing. It all has to do with the way it settles with the food in their tummys and needs to go down WITH the food. The Gripe water is a natural baby supplement intended to help with colic, teething and fussiness...you can do both at once, I do the drops with each feeding and have made a world of difference, and you can do the gripe water up to 6X a day, I only do it 2-3 if she's having a bad day, or a growth spurt which is going on right now. Good luck!  
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With Colic Calm gripe water, you can use it for gas, colic, reflux, and teething. You get more bang for your buck. It's also the only FDA approved, all natural solution on the market. Here's an explanation on what gripe water is:

https://www.coliccalm.com/gripe-water.htm

Good luck!

• Mylicon works great (as does the Target brand btw).  Gripe water did nothing for my LO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"