Philadelphia Babies

FMLA?

Does short-term disability cut into your FMLA time?  I am curious on this because different people say diffrent things. I asked our HR department and she said that was a good question but she did not have an answer to it. Anyone?
~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: FMLA?

• they are totally different things.

FMLA = federally protected leave from work for up to 12 weeks for a medical reason.  this is unpaid. it simply allows you to take 12 weeks per year for an approved reason and have your job protected

STD= payment while you are unable to work.  Generally for maternity it is 6 weeks for a natural birth, 8 weeks for a c-section.  this will give you money for that time.  Some STD programs give more money or longer but generally that is correct.  

There is usually 4-6 weeks that are unpaid by STD if you take the full FMLA time.  your work may pay you, it may not. You may be able to use your vacation time and get paid, that is up to your employer.  

I am shocked your HR lady did not know that!!!!!!! that's actually kind of scary, isn't it her job?? 

ETA- I am not in HR but this is what I understand based on my talks with HR and friends who have been pregnant as well as my research. Please correct me if I am wrong!!! 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I am also not in HR but understand the FMLA/ STD situation to be as pp described.  Also, just to clairfy, your FMLA and STD overlap so you will draw money from your STD policy DURING the 12 week (max) FMLA period. You will NOT get 6-8 weeks for the STD policy and then an additional 12 weeks for FMLA.  As pp said, FMLA is basically a time period and STD is a form of payment during that time period. If you work in NJ, there is payment associated with maternity leave but Im not sure of those details. Also, not all STD policies cover pregnancy as an "approved" medical condition so be sure to check into yours.  Also, as far as payment goes, you can get paid your STD benefit at the same time as your regular pay if you decide to use vacation time/sick time etc to get paid while on leave. So there may be a one or two month period where you get paid a regular paycheck from work via the use of your vacation time and then ALSO get a check from the STD company for your claim. Its all confusing the first time around, I know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • this makes me wish I lived in the dirty jerz haha
    imageimage

• You only have to work in NJ, I live in PA and will be taking 18 weeks paid leave under FMLA and NJFLA, I could take an additional 6 weeks but unless my dr orders it, It won't be paid.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • darn... now I want to work there! :-) that is awesome for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    imageimage

• Wait, NJ has different FMLA than PA?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FMLA is a federal program that mandates a minimum of 12 weeks off without losing your job, but each state can choose to offer more benefits than the minimum.  So you have to research the specific state where you work. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • New Jersey offers state disability benefits along with FMLA for 12 weeks.  NJ also has New Jersey Family Leave Act which is an additional 12 weeks after FMLA the first 6 of which have benefits.  NJFLA is only offered every 2 years where FMLA is every year.  I would check with HR where you work.  The girls in the HR office at my job are fabulous and very helpful.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"