Eco-Friendly Family
Options

NBR- Cookware recommendations

I thought this might be a good place to get suggestions on nontoxic and ecofriendly cookware. I have decided to stop using my Teflon pans and would like to switch to possibly ceramic, cast iron, or stainless steel, but would love to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR- Cookware recommendations

• Options

All of the above!  They can seriously be great compliments.  I have mostly stainless steel and cast iron is a nice addition.  My stainless is from Pampered Chef.  I like the idea that those pans should seriously last me a lifetime.  I think this is a good thing to buy quality so you're not replacing frequently...thats not very EF either.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Options
    I use Calphalon try-ply stainless for all sauces, boiling water, etc pans. Then use a cast iron frying pan for things like eggs and pancakes which need the non-stick (no particular brand, but recommend getting pre-seasoned if possible). I haven't tried any ceramic, instead using glass for my baking dishes since I've got the other pans.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

And if you really want to be EF, you can usually pick up really high-quality, good stuff at the thrift store.  Also check craigslist. 

I recommend one cast iron skillet (if nothing else, try to get this at a thrift store or antique store, look for Wagner or Griswold.  The quality will be better than anything you can get today.)

I have a few stainless steel pans for general cooking.  My workhorse is a Revereware pan I bought on ebay, and I have a few more I found at thrift stores.  Walmart now carries Revereware, but I have heard that the quality is not what the company traditionally made.  The old-school ones will have the place of their manufacture (somewhere in the U.S.) stamped on the bottom.

They aren't sexy, but I also love my ceramic Corningware baking dishes, inherited from my husband's grandma.  Again, you can get new pretty ones, but you can also get some cool quality retro ones for nothing in thrift shops.  

I'm sure you can find them easily at garage sales, too, but I don't have time for that.  GL!

• Options

Example:

I just picked up this stockpot yesterday at Goodwill for $10.  More than I would usually pay at GW, but it seemed really high quality and I've really been needing a stockpot.  

I just googled it, and it sells for $120.  

• Options
    I use Scanpan "Fusion 5" stainless steel range and it's all awesome. I have a small cast iron frying pan and a large crock pot by Le Creuset. They're horrendously expensive but will last a lifetime and I consistently cook delicious food in them so totally worth it. My Mum has all her original Le Creuset cookware from when they got married just over 40 years ago. It's in mint condition.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    We have KitchenAid pans stainless pans and love them! They clean so easily. I also like to use Pampered Chef stoneware, Pyrex, and the CorningWare dishes for baking :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When we decided to rethink cookware, one of my big qualms was how MUCH stuff we'd previously used. Most of it had been gifted or handed down, but it seemed like a waste to have so many pots and pans. We also donated or shared all of the plastic containers we had and went to glass pyrex and Ball canning jars for storage. 

We kept 1 stainless skillet, kept a pizza stone from pampered chef (love our stone so much!), and bought a cream colored Le Creuset dutch oven from an outlet. This thing is awesome and will never go out of style. The stainless skillet isn't super high quality so I think at some point we'll replace it with a cast iron skillet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagestarrynight62:

Example:

I just picked up this stockpot yesterday at Goodwill for $10.  More than I would usually pay at GW, but it seemed really high quality and I've really been needing a stockpot.  

I just googled it, and it sells for $120.  

Great job!! Nice find :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"