March 2011 Moms
Options

Back to school teacher-moms?

How are you feeling about going back to work after having the summer off with your little one?

Any tricks on how to stay on top of things so I'll have less to take home? Words of advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back to school teacher-moms?

• Options
    I teach too. I was back at the end of last school year for three weeks and survived! I am actually excited to be back. I love my job and the people I work with. We also have the best sitter si I know DD will be in great hands

In terms of getting it done at school, I would say just keep working. I used to let myself have "down time." Like when I am making copies, I used to sit but now I grade or plan. Planning ahead for what I need to do helps too so I leave time to call parents and grade at school. GL with your year!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not looking forward to it. I've loved being home with ds so much. It makes me want to cry thinking about being away from him. I also used to let myself have more down time so I'm going to really try to stay focused on work through my preps and lunch (when I'm not pumping of course).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm mixed about my feelings:)  I've been off since September so I'm having a hard time thinking about leaving DD:(  How and where do you ladies pump? I work in a high school and am debating either going out to my car or finding an empty classroom.  Is it appropriate to have my boobs hanging out in a classroom when there are teenagers afoot? 

TTC #2
    BFP 6/1/14  --  Blighted Ovum: 7/9/14  --  D&C: 7/10/14
    BFP 3/26/15 -- Chemical Pregnancy: 3/30/15

• Options
    I am dreading it! I've been off since the end of February, and it's been great being home with DD. If it wasn't for financial reasons, I wouldn't go back. MH is a teacher too, so living off 1 teaching salary would be a struggle. I don't want to feel as though we can't do things or go places. In the end, I know that going back to work will be worth it in the end, but I REALLY don't want to.
  • Options

imagemisskris927:
    I am dreading it! I've been off since the end of February, and it's been great being home with DD. If it wasn't for financial reasons, I wouldn't go back.

This. I know it will be okay.  I'm really stressing the pumping/ feeding though.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is our third week back already!  I was so scared to come back and leave DS at daycare, but it turns out to not be so bad.  Sure there are times when i get overwhelmed, but I did that before DS too!  He has really adjusted to daycare....eating all of his bottles, etc.  As for pumping, I teach HS too and I pump in my back office.  If you don't have a back office you could just lock your classroom door on your prep and cover the window if you have one. 

As for scheduling issues, I have had to force myself to be more strict about down time at work.  I only check the bump once during my lunch.  Once the lunch bell rings I am on prep so when that happens I make myself work on school stuff only.  When I get home I go throough all of my stuff....putting pump parts and used bottles in the sink and repacking DS's bag.  I also get up way earlier in the morning, 5am, b/c i have to be at work by 7.  Tis allows me plenty of time to get ready, feed DS and get him ready for daycare.  I am exhausted by the end of the week and the house is a wreck, but it feels great to be able to get it all done, I feel proud of myself :)

• Options
    I second the getting up a liitle earlier (if possible). I also bought a smaller school bag which forces me to not have too much at home to begin with!
  • Options

I'm starting my workdays tomorrow. I have been out since March 21 except for 2 workday in June. In a way I am looking forward to it - I have been at the same school since I started (this is year 13) so it feels like a 2nd home.

I am nervous about the pumping, getting up, and getting LO ready in the morning.  I think the worst part is the worrying about it. Once it gets going I think I will feel like pp - very proud to do it all well. I will pump in a back room. I have heard some people here say they have pumped in the nurses office. Just an idea.

Luckly I teach band so no long papers to grade :) But it is such a instant feedback kind of class - very much like to coaching all day - it takes so much energy and excitement to pump the kids up. I'm worried I won't have the energy for it and will be wiped out when I get home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I SO do.not.want.to.go.back.  My Lil man is such a joy, he's just so good that he makes it SO hard to leave him.EVER.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever want to be a SAHM, but now I wish I had planned better so I could have stayed home even longer, I absolutely LOVE not working.  I'm such a busy body so I just never thought that would be me. 

Anyway, I will for the first time this year be leaving school ON TIME.  It's my 12th year of teaching though and I have a Smartboard and already have 99% of what I'm doing all year done already.  I'm going to shorten the essays on my SS tests to make them easier to grade (we have more students than normal this year, like 20 more!) I also quit coaching the dance team, and only signed up for one teeny tiny committee.  For once I'm JUST going to teach.  So that's my plan for leaving on time and making the most of my time at home for my DS.   Good luck this year to all the teachers, hope you have amazing students! 

• Options
    I am having the same anxiety.  I teach 10th grade English so the grading can be tremendous.  This year I am giving less papers and am just grateful my lesson plans are pretty much completed since I've been teaching for several years.  I don't know how I'm going to do it.  I cry nearly every day just thinking about it.  I think we will all be different teachers this fall as our real and first jobs are that of mothers.  It won't be easy....  good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"