Pregnant after IF
Options

PIO - need new suggestions

Okay, I have been on PIO for 6 weeks now, 4 of those have been twice a day, so neither cheek gets a break of more than 24 hours. Believe me, I am happy to do it if it means I am (and get to stay) pregnant, but my ass is killing me and I have at least 4 more weeks of these shenanigans.

I ice before, and massage after, have tried heating pads, and warm, wet compresses. We have moved the injection site around as much as we can. I can barely touch my butt anymore, it's lumpy as all get out, and now it aches pretty much all the time.

Is there some trick I'm missing? I wonder if I stop icing if the medicine will disperse more, but I'm not sure I can handle the needle without the ice, especially since the whole area is tender.

Thoughts? I know it's a good problem to have for an infertile

Re: PIO - need new suggestions

• Options
    I never did the icing. I think it makes it worse. I do think massaging afterward helps though so I'd continue that. Sorry you have to be on it for so long! :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I always had better luck with the PIO on my upper outer hip area of my butt as opposed to anywhere closer to where I sit.  I also started to do them myself.  Poor DH could never get the technique down, and when I started doing them myself, it seemed like I bruised less.  Good Luck!
    TTC Child #1 Sept '08, Dx: Unexplained, DOR 2 IUI's = BFN, m/c, IVF 1 = 0 embies to put back, IVF 2 = BFN, IVF 3 = cancelled, IVF 4 = BFP with 1 embie. Our son came into our life on 9/28/11. We are in love! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What kind of oil is your PIO made with? Sometimes switching oil helps it absorb and distribute better. They make it in a few different kinds. May be something to ask your RE about.

because it sounds like you are doing everything you can... Hang in there!
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wish I had the magic bullet for you, but I had these same issues for the 12 weeks I was on PIO (and my butt still hurts 3 1/2 wks after stopping).  The only thing I can suggest is moving to the outer and lower part of the cheek, if you haven't already, as I found it somewhat less painful in this area.  GL!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Options

imageetoyama:
    I never did the icing. I think it makes it worse. I do think massaging afterward helps though so I'd continue that. Sorry you have to be on it for so long! :(

ditto this...cornell actually won't green light ice bc of this.  Heat before and after, so no the pio disperses better.

• Options
    imageLGLDVM:

Get Emla cream from your RE or order lidocaine cream from Amazon.com.   I am currently using Dr. Numb, but Amazon was having an issue with it when I went to order more last week so I got Lidoderm. I don't know if it will work as well, but anything is better than nothing. I put it on, cover with saran wrap and tape for about 1 hour before the shot. Most of the time, I don't even feel the needle going in.

The numbing cream makes it so that the needle doesn't hurt going in and I don't ice at all. I just warm the syringe in my hands before hand to thin out the oil and then we heat for several minutes after to help disperse the oil. I still get bruises and I still bleed a lot sometimes, but I don't have knots.

Exactly this! The numbing cream will help the shot be less painful. Most of the times i barely feel the needle going in or its a little pinch. We are on 2cc a day an MH pushes slowly so the oil goes in better and so far im just a little itchy with little bumps, no major welts. I was told absolutely NO ice, heat only. Heat right after does help. We keep our pio at room temperature so it goes in better. Here is a diagram that I hope will help you. We are doing them closer to this area as opposed to lower and closer to the butt cheek and it definitely makes a difference. Im a little sore the next day but nothing major at all. Best of luck to you hun! And so sorry you are on it 2x a day! Can you ask about doing just one shot of a bigger dose?

• Options

As PP have said, warm the injection site before - I used to just sit on a heating pad for 10 minutes before doing the injection.

I also used to make sure the PIO vial was slightly warm - stick it down your bra for 10 minutes, I think that helps the liquid disperse easier.

Also massage after the injection to disperse the liquid.

Good Luck and hang in there!

TTC #1 since 03/09 Dx Unexplained
    Jan to April 2010 - Clomid - All BFN
    June 2010 - IVF - BFN
    Oct 2010 - FET #1 - BFN
    Dec 2010 - endometrial biopsy
    Jan 2011 - Surprise BFP! - m/c at 6w5d
    March 2011 - FET #2. Thawed 11 Day 1 embryos; 5 'exploded' / possible lab error?
    ET 4/2/11 transferred 1 blast & 1 morula
    Beta#1 10dp5dt =81; Beta#2 12dp5dt =222 Beta#3 16dp5dt =1337
    It's a BOY!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was told using ice was not a good idea.  I just kept PIO at room temp and used that, sometimes massaged it in a little bit after injection.  Never used ice, heat, or numbing cream.  Can you see about doing a larger volume just once a day to cut down on all the stabs??  Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do but try to find new spots to inject. 

I'm sorry your butt is hurting, but glad that you have a great reason for it to be.  I used to lurk over on S&TTTC and am so happy to see you with a ticker!  :)

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I might need the numbing cream - I tried it sans ice last night and it hurt like crazy, plus I still have a knot AND it's way more sore than normal. :/ I might have clenched when the needle went in. Oh well, I'll just suck it up.
  • Options
    I stopped PIO at 11 weeks and I still have a lump or 2 and it occasionally itches.. So sorry!
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"