Pregnant after 35
Options

Pain under ribcage and skin sensitivity

Hi ladies,
I am having terrible almost constant pain under my ribcage, the entire area in the front where your bra strap lies.  Baby Girl Haribo is very very active, so I am wondering if I am just "bruised" from all the kicking.  The pain is pretty unbearable, and even the skin overlying the area is sensitive and tender.  I have been icing and wrapping with an ACE bandage.  I don't understand why the skin itself hurts unless there is some nerve involvement.  Has anyone had this?  What have you done for relief?  It feels like an open wound that is being doused with alcohol.  I am trying not to be a wimp, but the pain is so bad that it makes me cry. I have an OB appointment tomorrow so will ask.  I have also had a constant headache for the last week.   Sigh. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pain under ribcage and skin sensitivity

• Options

The skin-  Is that area red or showing a rash? I get heat rash in that area sometimes if I don't wear the correct sized bra or go braless. Could it be the elastic in the bra itself is causing  the pain or is it too tight?

As for the ribcage  feeling bruised it could be the kicks from LO. Or LO has pushed herself into a bad position there. Hopefully your doctor can check it out on an u/s.

As for the headache have you checked your blood pressure? Are you getting enough water? Both can cause headaches. Also the weather can as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    Varkeyr: Thanks so much for the thoughts and suggestions.  No redness or rash in the skin area, that's why I thought it was so odd.  I think it is definitely LO kicking now.  She had a big "roll" then punched/kicked me in the rib, and that movement exacerbated the pain x 1000.  As for the headache, I have not had my BP checked lately but have an appointment tomorrow but hopefully it will be ok.  Definitely drinking a ton of water.  The headaches are odd because I have not had any during this pregnancy until the last week.  Pre-pregnancy, I had regular headaches and migraines.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I frequently have pain in that same area.  It isn't because LO is kicking me, it's just because he is taking up room so everything else is pushed up there.  I especially notice it after I eat.  Sometimes laying on my side (either one really) or trying to stretch helps.

I have no idea about skin tenderness without a rash or anything.

• Options

I am so glad you asked this questions because I was starting to feel a little crazy.  I have the same thing - in almost the same area - mine is just below my bra.  I have a very active LO as well which I think explains the internal soreness but the skin sensitivity makes no sense.  I've had DH look a few times to see if he could see something that I couldn't.  There is nothing there - no bumps/redness, etc... but I feel like I have a really bad rash.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Options
    imageCheezeFace:

I am so glad you asked this questions because I was starting to feel a little crazy.  I have the same thing - in almost the same area - mine is just below my bra.  I have a very active LO as well which I think explains the internal soreness but the skin sensitivity makes no sense.  I've had DH look a few times to see if he could see something that I couldn't.  There is nothing there - no bumps/redness, etc... but I feel like I have a really bad rash.

Glad to hear I am not the only one, but I'm sorry you have this same feeling =(  Went to see doc today, and she thinks it is because of Baby Haribo kicking me and my uterus being so high up that it is irritating the area under my ribs.  She checked to make sure not "fatty liver" but the pain would be different.  Feel better soon!  Ice, warm compress and an ACE bandage helped me.  Don't keep the ACE bandage on too long though because it added to the soreness for me after awhile. 

• Options
    imageHaribo1:
    imageCheezeFace:

Glad to hear I am not the only one, but I'm sorry you have this same feeling =(  Went to see doc today, and she thinks it is because of Baby Haribo kicking me and my uterus being so high up that it is irritating the area under my ribs.  She checked to make sure not "fatty liver" but the pain would be different.  Feel better soon!  Ice, warm compress and an ACE bandage helped me.  Don't keep the ACE bandage on too long though because it added to the soreness for me after awhile. 

Thanks for the advice - I actually had my glucose test yesterday and mentioned this.  My Dr. said essentially the same thing yours did but added that burning skin feeling I'm getting is most likely from muscle tears across the ribcage as I grow.  It's hard to complain about having a healthy baby, isn't it?  (but owie.  Really, owie).

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"