1st Trimester
Options

What are you calling your embryo/fetus?

Re: What are you calling your embryo/fetus?

• Options
    We call the baby "Legume." When we first found out I was pregnant I was reading a book and it described the baby as the size of a kidney bean and said "but don't worry, this is one active legume." It just stuck!
  • Options
    We refer to our little guy as "dragon" since he's been making me breath fire since month two!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We were calling him peanut, but that got old after a while.  We wont have an actual name picked out for him until we meet him, so for now we now call him "Mr. Sir". Wink

• Options
    I call it "Maci" which means little bear in my language. The name came up when we tried to explain to my 21-month-old daughter that there is a baby in mommy's belly but she kept telling: no it is "Maci". Then we were guessing if it was a girl or boy.......or Maci! So since I call it Maci.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    "The Baby." We're boring. We have a cat named Cat, so....
  • Options
    We took my husbands and my first initials and started calling it mini m
  • Options
    Even though we don't know the sex of the baby yet and regardless of that, my Husband has been calling ours Rocky Rambo.  I don't think that needs any further explanation. lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH desperately wants to name a boy Orville Swanky (family name) so our compromise is the VERY temporary pre-gender nickname of Swanky.
  • Options
    We call ours "Woodstock" after the Peanuts character...mainly because one of my husband's nicknames for me is "Snoopy". We don't want to know what we are having either, and I don't like the idea of saying "it" as you mentioned...."Woodstock" will be along in about 10 weeks :).
  • Options
    Ours went through a few names. First it was Ralph, because my husband was calling getting pregnant Operation: Ralph. It switched to Bear and then Tremendous Bear (after Bear Grylls with the whole breathing in the amniotic fluid which has pee in it) and now it's pretty stable at Nubbins. Everyone's adopted that name for the baby at this point! Our little Nubbins.
  • Options
    We've been calling "it" Blueberry from the beginning.  We had read that was the comparable size of the embryo at the time and thought it was adorable.  I think it helps to connect to your LO when you can call it by a pet or nickname.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekiwikitti:
    It switched to Bear and then Tremendous Bear (after Bear Grylls with the whole breathing in the amniotic fluid which has pee in it) .

lololol

• Options
    We call ours the "wee bairn."  When my husband's brother and sister-in-law were expecting, she was nicknamed "chickpea," and my best friend nicknamed hers "squishy." 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Since a lot of people refer to being pregnant as having a "bun in the oven", we've taken to calling our little girl Bun or Bunny. I think it's sweet. :)
  • Options
    Since a lot of people refer to being pregnant as having a "bun in the oven", we've taken to calling our little girl Bun or Bunny. I think it's sweet. :)
  • Options
    My husband's nickname for me is "Little Bear" so we've been calling the baby, "Baby Bear"! :)
  • Options

I had the exact same problem! I hated refering to our little baby on the way as "it".  That sounded so impersonal and definately not cute enough for our bundle of joy!  We started calling our baby "squirrel" and it stuck.  My husband and I talk about Squirrel like he is right here with us instead of the baby or it.  Squirrel feels better to say and it is probably a nickname that will stick for a while after he is born.  Our friends that just had a baby nicknamed theirs Melvin, and it stuck until the day she was born.  It's whatever feels fun for you to say and sticks! 

• Options
    My first was referred to as "the lima bean" because that's what the first sonogram resembled.  One friend commented at the picture resembling a lima bean and it just stuck with everyone else picking that up.  My current baby to be is called "the star-baby"  since my husband cohosts a scifi podcast that is supposed to take place on a starbase.  The listeners just started calling in or emailing and referring to her as the star-baby.
  • Options

At my first ultrasound for my daughter, she was moving around & I told my friend she was like a little jumping bean. So from then on we called her Bean. I'm expecting my 2nd one now and, like last time we're not finding out the sex, so we wanted a neutral pregnancy name. It's feet were "runnning" like crazy so I've been calling it Speedy. I like having a special name for it. I think it makes more of a connection.

• Options
    I call "him" Froggy.  Over the years, I have developed sort of a thing for Frog themes, and since he looked very tadpole-like, it was appropriate.  Now I'm at 16 weeks, and Froggy doesn't seem to fit like it did, but I haven't renamed him yet.  Either way, I refer to "it" as a him, just because.   
  • Options
    "little bit" and "buggaboo"
  • Options
    We know we're having twins so we call them thing 1 and thing 2 from Dr. Suess. It makes people laugh
  • Options
    We've been calling our little blessing 'Bun', as in 'bun in the oven'.
    First-time Mommy!
  • Options

"my fetus."

I can't stand it when people call it a baby when it's still in their uterus. Peanut, sweet pea, gummy bear, goober, etc are too common. I guess I'll call it a fetus until something original strikes me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been calling mine "my Little Nub".  It was so hard telling my mom over the phone, I kept referring to 'him' or using 'they'  She kept getting excited as if I knew the gender or if there was more than one.  I had to firmly correct her, there is only one and I don't know if its a boy or a girl. 
  • Options
    For some reason DH started calling Carlos from The Hangover. It has stuck. We haven't told anyone yet so it is our inside joke and no one knows what we are talking about.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

"satan" when the morning sickness was really bad; "lima bean" after first ultrasound; now "avocado"

• Options

My husband made a joke when we were talking with someone about baby names.  He said something to the effect of "we could name our baby  Slush-Puppy Ninja if we want to, and no one could stop us!" We laughed so hard, but the name stuck.

So we have been referring to him/her as "Slush-Puppy Ninja" ever since.

• Options
    We call ours "cupcake".  We think bun in the oven is very outdated, so cupcake suits us well :)
  • Options
    My husband named the baby "wiggles" as it was quite active in our 8 week sonogram!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have been calling it "Sea Monkey" since it currently has a tail. We will have to come up with something else once it is a little more human. I am think "ninja in training" or "mini pirate" since the room is all underwater and pirate themed.

My younger cousins have been calling it different things based on its current size, last week Blueberry, this week Raspberry.

• Options
    we call ours Nugget :-)
  • Options
    We change up what we call the twins weekly bassed on the status email the Bump sends out.  Last week they were "the prunes".  This week they are "the limes". It gives us something to look forward to between OB visits other than frequent potty breaks and morning sickness.  My husband pesters me on the day our email is supposed to come.  Is it there yet?  Why haven't I gotten my Bump email yet?  Then there is the whole process of changing our countdown calendar apps on our phones and finding an image of 2 of whatever they are so I can change my Facebook profile pic.  When we find out their gender we will probably them by their names.  I'm not sure if that will be as fun. 
  • Options
    My DH is 6'8", yeah....a friend of ours named our little one Tiny Tito (our last name) as a joke on my DH height. It stuck and everyone loves it. For short we call it Tiny.
  • Options
    My husband and I were watching tv one night and a commercial for the movie Rango came on and I joked that that was what we should name the baby.  So even after we found out it was a girl we've continued to call her Rango.  It just stuck, so much so that some friends had it embroidered on a onesie for her.
  • Options
    Nugget, KauffNugget (long story, from DH former students) or KauffBaby. It was The Bean for the first trimester or Parasite (as a joke of course...thanks, DH) until it became a fetus. I'd say Nugget is used slightly more frequently just because it's a Nugget of a human!
  • Options

imageJessiMay1369:
    For some reason DH started calling Carlos from The Hangover. It has stuck. We haven't told anyone yet so it is our inside joke and no one knows what we are talking about.

This is absolutely hilarious!!! LOVE it! Big Smile Right now we're calling our baby "Peanut" right now. I know it's not very creative, but we started calling it that and it's really stuck. Now my co-workers will ask me how "Peanut" is feeling, so it's really cute!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    we starting calling her embry and now even though she isnt an embryo we still call her embry.
  • Options
    We called our baby "Mumford" or "Mumfy" after the band Mumford and Sons...I think my husband could tell it was a boy. Made conversation more interesting!
  • Options
    Little Person, or LP for short.  Parents like to call it Kai, short for Kaiser roll...inside joke.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"