Working Moms
Options

Sitting on an Exercise Ball at Desk?

If you know anything about sitting on an exercise ball instead of a desk chair, please share! What size ball? Did you sit there the whole day? Did you build up to it? Did you do any exercises/stretches on it? Did it wrinkle or wear out your dress pants? Could you write neatly? Reach the desk? Move to the filing cabinet....? I'm open to all input =) (PS, I'm thinking of using it for fitness, not labor or anything).
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: Sitting on an Exercise Ball at Desk?

• Options
    I knew someone who used one of these at work. She used the biggest one (I think it's blue) so that she could easily reach the desk for all work related activities. It didn't seem to wrinkle her clothes and I think she used it mostly for strengthening her core.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know a man in his 50's who sits on one.  I've never asked, but I'd assume it might help with a bad back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our risk department won't allow it :(
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• Options
    I have one and have been thinking about bringing it to the office. I do not know how comfortable it would be sitting on it all day! But I am a horrible slouch.
  • Options
    imageemu0013:
    Our risk department won't allow it :(
    Why? Fall hazard?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options

I tried it and it was not really feasible for long-term use. I bought a $10 exercise ball at Target and used it for a day or two. I could only sit on it for a few minutes at a time. You have to build up to it because it will make you know muscles you haven't previously used before to hold yourself up. Also, it was not a good fit at my desk--it was hard to reach my keyboard, mouse and phone. I just gave up, and now my boss enjoys kicking it down the hall on occasion.

The other thing I'd caution you about is that exercise balls are not designed to be used in that manner. There are bona fide ball chairs that are much more durable and designed for sitting all day. If I were ever to do this again, I would buy a real ball chair instead of a $10 fitness ball.

• Options
    I used one for several hours at a time when I was pregnant.  I didn't need to work up to it, but it was a tad shorter than my desk chair. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I used one in our home offiice for a while, but wouldn't want to jump to full time using it at work.  It's a good exercise for your core, which means it hurts if you do too much all at once.  I had to work up from a half hour at a time.

What size ball you use depends on your height and the desk height.  I have a medium-sized one, but would probably do better with the larger ball full time.  You can't really roll over to the file cabinet if your sitting on the ball.  It's kind of a weird adjustment if you're used to a rolling chair and suddenly are rooted to anything within arms reach unless you want to stand up.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry but this just reminds me of The Office when Dwight was sitting on one.  I wouldn't do it at work unless you have a private office.  I think it would be weird for your coworkers to see.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I've seen ball chairs in a catalog, where it has a tiny back rest and balls on the bottom so you could roll across the room without falling off.  I just can't remember where I saw them. 
  • Options

I sit on one for about 30 minutes - 1 hour at a time. I do not sit on it all day, but I think that is because I need a slightly larger one - I have a 65 mm from Target.

I could probably sit on it all day if I wanted to - I do actually bounce on it. Stick out tongueHowever, you can't really roll to anywhere on it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagejenns123:

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-Ball-Chair-Black/dp/B0007VB4NE

I just found this when googling... very intersting.

Yes!  That is the one I've seen, in the gaiam catalog.  I think you can get them in different colors in the catalog, but not for that price.

• Options

Ha! Mine is still under my desk from my first pregnancy because of hip pain. I've been thinking about bringing it back out again.

I found the general size guideline online below but I think the most important thing to remember is:

The 90-degree rule: When you are seated on the ball, feet flat on the floor, you want your hips and knees to form a 90 degree angle with one another

Here are some rough sizing guidelines:

• If you are 4'11" to 5' 3" get 55cm.
    • If you are 5' 4" to 5' 10" get 65cm.
    • If you are 5' 11" or taller get 75cm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"