April 2011 Moms
Options

how long to nurse?

How long are you nursing on each side?  LO used to have marathon nursing sessions.  Now, she can barely last 5 minutes before she is completely distracted.  I'm not sure if she's finished eating or just distracted. 

Re: how long to nurse?

• Options

I always start with my "weak" side first and my goal is five minutes.  The milk doesn't come as fast so I think she gets mad, plus she's really started to get more and more distracted.  She seems to go longer on the other side and is less distracted.  On this side I think my milk seems to be faster and keeps her swallowing.  My goal is usually a total of 15 minutes.  

I think if babies are really hungry they will focus on eating so if she really is very distracted I would say she's probably done.  If she keeps coming back I'd probably keep trying.    

• Options
    DS also only nurses about 5 minutes per side now, but he seems to be completely done in that amount of time, even though during the day he likes to fidget and pop off and what not. He's recently cut down his overnight nursing to only one time between 8pm and 5am and at that feeding I'm still super-engorged when I go in and totally empty 10 minutes later when I put him back down in his crib. So he's just become really efficient.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"