Illinois Babies
Options

Giving birth @ St Mary's Hospital?

I gave birth in November 2010 to my healthy baby boy @ Prentice.

To be frank, I didn't like my experience. I won't go into detail, and I am fully aware that Prentice has a reputation that supercedes them.

However, St. Mary's is closer to my home, I go there for all emergency care (distance issue), it has free parking, and I adore the staff.

I've only known a couple people that have given birth at this Resurrection branch, and I haven't heard any bad reviews.

For the people who have given birth here:

How was your experience? Was it clean? How was your delivery? How's the food lol? Amenities? Is it cramped in the triage, like small rooms, narrow hallways, etc? Or is it roomy? How does it smell? Clean? Birthing tubs?

Weird questions, I know, but hey, I'm having a baby and I need to know these things. I would prefer to have an idea before my hospital tour of the birthing department.

Thanks mamas!--Jenn

Re: Giving birth @ St Mary's Hospital?

• Options
    I have doula'd there many times and it is a decent hospital-though I can only speak for midwifery births, I have not worked with the OBs. I know there is at least one tub(no water birth though) and a shower in every room. The rooms are a little small, but we have had enough room to have 3 people plus mom. The nurses are decently friendly and if you use the midwives they are very supportive of natural birth. I have been at births where they use the birth bar or do pushing on hands and knees. They also allow for longer labors and pushing periods which is nice. The food I've had there isn't fabulous, but is not horrible at all. The hallways are long and easy for walking and it seems very clean. The only thing I really don't like is after a c/s they keep mom in recovery away from baby for a long time. 
    Samantha Trebilcock BSN RN, CD(DONA), PES, CBE http://naturalbeginningsdoula.vpweb.com/
  • Options

I'm due in about a week and we have chosen St. Mary's Hospital also.  My older sister had her last baby there 2 years ago and the nurses are awesome, your experience also depends who your OB is.  The rooms are a bit small but very comfortable and clean.  They only have one tube but no water birth, soon they will. When you arrive at triage the room is small and its divided for two beds, once your moved to the delivery room you have so much more space and privacy. 

The halls are long and your guest can always find someone near by if they need help finding your room.  But I recommend you take your hospital tour that why you also get to meet some of the staff.  Also St. Mary offers different classes and they are free since you will have them as your delivery hospital.

Hope this helps!!! Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"