Food Allergy
Options

Should patch testing hurt?

Can anybody tell me how their verbal child described the experience? DD has multiple special needs and can't communicate when she is in pain, but she has been REALLY upset since yesterday. I asked multiple times at the clinic if this would hurt her (I get it if it does, but I need to understand so that I can help her) and they assured that it doesn't. 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited: I originally wrote RAST, but meant patch testing. (The one with the blobs of food on her back--No needles were used.) Sorry for the confusion!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should patch testing hurt?

• Options
    RAST is the blood testing.  Do you mean the skin testing?  My son had another round of testing last week and it was the first time he flinched during the skin pricks but didn't say "ow" or that it hurt.  The itchiness when hives formed seemed to be the most uncomfortable part - well, until the blood draw.  I hope your daughter feels better soon!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you for sharing your experience... I meant the patch testing. The one with the little blobs of food in a million spots on her back.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a 4.5 year old and he says that "yes" it hurts!  He hates having it done, I think it is b/c there are so many pricks at once but he cries and then is miserable after with the hives.  Allergy testing in no fun.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had the patch testing done on my back where I had this huge patch with multiple things stuck to my back for either 24 or 48 hrs. I wouldn't say it was painful but it was itchy and uncomfortable. I also did it in the middle of the summer which was torture not showering for 2 days. The prick testing didn't bother me other than driving me nuts bc it's itchy but when they did my son and they put the alcohol on his back then the picks he was miserable. He also has ezcema so I think the alcohol started the pain issue plus the itchiness of the pricks and he only had 4 pricks done.
  • Options
    Ari just had a 3rd round of patch testing done about a month ago. He kept fussing at his back & was just more irritable than usual while the patches were on. I think the irritation & itchiness from the foods & the tape + adhesive probably were annoying, but not painful. Getting the tape pulled is definitely painful though, I hate it for him. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"