Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

how long should it take baby to eat 3 oz. from bottle?

We're introducing the bottle to LO. She's 2 weeks old, and has been exclusively breast feeding. We're hoping for DH to do her midnight feeding with the bottle now so I can get a bit more sleep with pumped breast milk. I have Dr. Browns bottles, and tonight I fed her for the first time. She had no problem taking it, and it seemed like she ate really fast. I stopped her every minute so she could catch her breath because she was eating so fast and breathing hard. I stopped her for a burping about half way through. I guess it took 10 minutes, maybe? Is this normal? It was only 3 oz., but she just seemed to go so fast even with the slow flow and pausing. When she's on the breast, she takes about 25-30 minutes to eat 3 oz. 
Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11

Re: how long should it take baby to eat 3 oz. from bottle?

• Options
    I'm not a breastfeeder, but i imagine that the slow flow nipple is still faster than the flow of your breastmilk....just a guess though, dont quote me. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image
  • Options
    Wow! 10 minutes is pretty fast compared to my DS. We use Medela bottles & when he was eating 3ozs it took him about 20 minutes. Also, I would recommend you burp every ounce, or she may spit it all up, especially since she's eating it so fast.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBridezilla to be:
    I'm not a breastfeeder, but i imagine that the slow flow nipple is still faster than the flow of your breastmilk....just a guess though, dont quote me. :)

I would have to agree. :)

BTW, your baby is soooo cute! Love that picture!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelandosmommy:

imageBridezilla to be:

THANK YOU!!! As is yours :)

• Options
    imagelandosmommy:

imageBridezilla to be:

THANK YOU!!! As is yours :)

• Options
    i BF and give LO bottles with breast milk occationally. he does exactly the same thing with the bottle. he only breastfeeds 10-15mins on one side and 5-10mins on the other side when he eats. i talked to a public health nurse about how fast he eats from the bottle and how long be BFs. she told me he sounds like a fast eater and he eats the bottle so fast because hes used to haveing to suck a while to get the milk to let down. he doesn't have to work so hard to get it from the bottle, but hes used to sucking harder to get it from my breast. she told he to burp in the middle and to not worry about it, as long as he seems satisfied.
  • Options

It's a bit different re: ages, but my little one is 2 months and she takes about 15 mins. to eat 3oz. using Dr. Browns.  She too eats fast as I can hear it in her breathing and will also stop her so that she can catch her breath. I have no issue with it as she does burp regularly and she never spits up.  Just a bit of a glutton lol

• Options

I use the Dr. Brown's bottles and EP.  My little guy will eat 3 ounces in about 10-15 minutes.

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    That sounds normal to me. Our LO drinks from the Dr. Brown's bottles much faster than from the breast.  Fortunately Dr. Brown's slow flow is a LITTLE slower than when we fed her from the Medela slow flow bottles.  She would burn through those in like 5 minutes!  :/

BabyFruit Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your replies! I will definitely try burping her after each oz. and getting her to pause a little more. She didn't spit up at all after that bottle, but she does get the hiccups pretty often. 
    Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11
  • Options
    My little one is 2 weeks old and I find it best to burp every 1/2 oz. Sometimes she'll go through an oz before I know it and I'll burp her then.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"