Military Families
Options

OBGYN at Fort Benning (Martin Army)

Hello Ladies,

We are pcs'ing to Benning at the end of the month and I will be about 34 weeks pregnant. We will be living off base and I am trying to find out how the OB office is and if anyone can share their experiences with labor/ delivery at Martin Army. Should I see a doctor on base, or should I request a referral off base?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OBGYN at Fort Benning (Martin Army)

• Options

Well, since no one else has responded yet, I will try my best to help with what limited info I have! No, I didn't deliver here...but based on what I know of the experience of others who have had babies here recently, I'd pick Doctors Hospital (in Columbus). I would not personally choose to deliver at MACH...it's a pretty old facility and from what I've seen, not in the best condition. But like I said, my opinions are based on secondhand knowledge and not personal experience.

I can personally recommend Rivertown Pediatrics for after the baby is born. :) My DD goes there and it's really nice, and accepts TRICARE! Best wishes...

P.S. Check out the MuscogeeMoms Facebook page for more mom-related info about the area. Lots of good stuff there. Welcome to Benning! :)

• Options
    Thank you so much! I am really excited to be moving there because I am actually from Columbus, but wanted to be sure about where to sign up for tricare since I will be so far along once we get there. I am going to look into that facebook page and Rivertown as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh wow! I'm from Columbus too!! We moved back down here last year after being stationed somewhere else for two years. It was good to come home, especially so soon after having a baby! I'm sure you're feeling the same way! :)
  • Options
    I LOVED going to Martin Army. We actually PCS'd to Bragg at the same gestational time that you did! I saw Dr. Galfand at MACH, and would go back to her in a heartbeat. She is very down to earth and will sit down and answer any questions without you feeling rushed. Good luck with everything!!
  • Options
    I am so happy to be returning home! We are getting a house built out in Fort Mitchell and I am just relieved to be close to family and friends so I can have some much needed help with baby number 2 since our kids will be so close together in age (we have a 10 month old lol). 
  • Options

imagedemersebm:
    I LOVED going to Martin Army. We actually PCS'd to Bragg at the same gestational time that you did! I saw Dr. Galfand at MACH, and would go back to her in a heartbeat. She is very down to earth and will sit down and answer any questions without you feeling rushed. Good luck with everything!!

Glad to hear some positive reviews about the army! We are pcs'ing from Fort Irwin and when I delivered my son here last year I did not have any other option but to deliver on base so this time I just wanted to make sure I was going to go to a hospital where I would be comfortable at this time around. Thank you so much for the wishes!  

• Options

imageabutler01:
    I am so happy to be returning home! We are getting a house built out in Fort Mitchell and I am just relieved to be close to family and friends so I can have some much needed help with baby number 2 since our kids will be so close together in age (we have a 10 month old lol). 

Awesome! :) We're in Alabama too and probably always will be! Columbus is getting too crowded.

• Options
    What a small world!  We bought a house in one of the new subdivisions in Ft. Mitchell about 2 yrs ago!  I lived in Columbus until I was 30 and then DH carted me off elsewhere!  It's really peaceful and nice here, but a bit far from "town."  Anyway, I delivered both my sons (3 yrs and 5 months) at MACH.  The first time was less than stellar, but I attribute some of that to being a first-time mom.  The second time we were bound and determined to go off base, but when we met with the head nurse and found out about all the improvements, I decided to deliver there.  I delivered in Feb. and it was a fantastic experience!  I don't know if you're going to natural route or anything, but they have wonderful midwives and even have a birthing pool available!  There is also crazy breastfeeding support and even a breastfeeding clinic next to Pediatrics.  I would totally give birth there again.  However, I do recommend going off-base for a pediatrician.  The wait times at MACH are terrible and the emergency room is HORRIBLE!  We go to Rivertown Pediatrics and can also go to Pediatrics Afterhours for emergencies, where we can see an actual pediatrician (often from our practice).  Good luck with everything!
  • Options

imageRicecake08:
    What a small world!  We bought a house in one of the new subdivisions in Ft. Mitchell about 2 yrs ago!  I lived in Columbus until I was 30 and then DH carted me off elsewhere!  It's really peaceful and nice here, but a bit far from "town."  Anyway, I delivered both my sons (3 yrs and 5 months) at MACH.  The first time was less than stellar, but I attribute some of that to being a first-time mom.  The second time we were bound and determined to go off base, but when we met with the head nurse and found out about all the improvements, I decided to deliver there.  I delivered in Feb. and it was a fantastic experience!  I don't know if you're going to natural route or anything, but they have wonderful midwives and even have a birthing pool available!  There is also crazy breastfeeding support and even a breastfeeding clinic next to Pediatrics.  I would totally give birth there again.  However, I do recommend going off-base for a pediatrician.  The wait times at MACH are terrible and the emergency room is HORRIBLE!  We go to Rivertown Pediatrics and can also go to Pediatrics Afterhours for emergencies, where we can see an actual pediatrician (often from our practice).  Good luck with everything!

It is a small world! We bought a house in the housing community the Landings. Which subdivision did you buy in? Coming from Fort Irwin, to get to the nearest town to us it is a one road only 35 mile stretch I am more than fine with the drive now lol. I like that we will be so close to the back gate of Benning. My husband is going to be the new XO for one of the divisions within the Armor School so he will be really close to work. I am glad to hear positive reviews about MACH because I was a little skeptical at first. I am planning on doing a water birth so I am very excited for the option. I am going to look into Rivertown Pediatrics because I have been getting a lot of recommendations for them and with my son I want more of stability with him because he will only be one and the doctors changed out so fast in a military hospital I just don't want that for him.  

• Options
    Wow!  The Landings is right across from us, we're in the Registry!  I think you'll like your neighborhood. I drove through it when there were just a few houses up but they look beautiful!  And it's filling up fast, you'll have lots of neighbors!  
  • Options

I can't wait to move in! We close on Sept 9th and leave Cali on the 1st I am counting down the days! We should meet up when we get there :-) 

• Options
    I am so happy to hear good things about MACH! We PCS to Benning in 5 weeks (by then I will be 12 weeks) and I was so nervous until I read these posts  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"