Philadelphia Babies

Southeast PA or Del obgyn/midwives?

Hello - I live in Chadds Ford and gave birth at ChesCo Hospital with ChesCo ObGyn with my son.  I am contemplating switching for this pregnancy to a smaller practice and one with a more holistic mindset.  I am not sure if I can sign up for no pain meds yet so I am hesitant to go to the Wilmington Birth Center.  I was wondering if anyone had any other experiences with other local places.  I am fairly close to Christiana hospital, Riddle, ChesCo and Jennersville (although I hear mixed reviews of Jennersville).  I have heard good things about Dr. Slavish in WC - anyone have any reviews?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Southeast PA or Del obgyn/midwives?

• Sorry i don't know of any places, but as a first time expecting mom, why the switch? Just curious, there are so many things i don't know.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Well, I like the practice but there are a ton of doctors so I you won't know any of them all that well which I would prefer at delivery.  Also, I want a doctor that will delay cord clamping while letting the baby nurse.
  • Loading the player...
  •  l live near Christiana, although not delivering there (we are moving back to PA), I did go there for 2 issues in my last pregnancy and they were nothing but Fantastic. I have nothing bad to say about them.  Very nice!
  • I'm delivering at Christiana. I see "All About Women" (they have an office right at the hospital, one in Glasgow & I believe another one) I absolutely love all of them. I've seen the midwife most of my pregnancy, she is pheominal! Personally, I would stay away from Jennersville at all cost. I started out there and switched after maybe 3 visits. I waited for over an hour to be see for all of 3 minutes. Than I ended up at Christiana ER/L&D at around 12weeks for an ovarian cyst. I had multiple little ones before, this one was pretty significant in size and the OBGYN at Jennersville never once mentioned it until after I was seen at Christiana, so I switched right away and haven't regretted it for a single second!

Goodluck! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Christiana and Jennersville both have their good and bad points, in my doula opinion ;) One is HUGE - called the 'baby factory' for a reason - man, they do gotta get you in and out, they are on quite a tight schedule there in L & D, triage totally STINKS and no one ever tells my clients how they'll be in there potentially for hours alone, in bed on monitors, losing their confidence, etc - you'll never know who will actually deliver you there, but they have gotten a few midwives in there who are great but have the task of initiating the entire hospital staff to a different way of managing/caring for labors. It's never a guarantee they'll be there, though. I've had a few really awesome experiences there (one nurse, Jenn, rocks!) and a few equally as frustrating and very routine/can't break from the typical OB management type. And the other hospital is small which is nice, more personalized, and I've experienced a midwife and a nurse who were really lovely - and an OB back up doc that I've heard mixed feelings about. Keep asking around and also go to consults with both and ask all the protocol/policy/what to expect questions until you're comfortable.
    Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
  • Thanks ladies- it looks like we're going to go to Jennersville due to the midwife presence.  mom2atum, if you don't mind either sharing here or PMing me, what were the concerns about the OB?  I had one appt with an OB there and one with a midwife - I loved the midwife but still need to meet others in the practice. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"