Postpartum Depression
Options

Hi, I have PPD.

My name is Michelle and I just had my third child 2 weeks ago. I had the baby blues pretty bad with my first baby. Then my second was much worse. I tried to fight through it but finally sought help at about 3 weeks postpartum. I was started on Zoloft and slowly felt better. This time I started the meds in the hospital hoping to avoid PPD altogether. But unfortunately I am struggling still.

Mornings are the worst for me. I wake up with a pit in my stomach and extreme anxiety. I can't stop crying. I feel guilty for feeling this way. I feel guilty that I am unable to do the things I used to do. It takes every ounce of effort in me to do small things like shower or force myself to eat. I am completely overwhelmed by my older two children and am terrified of when my husband goes back to work. I am hoping the Zoloft is starting to work because by the end of the day I can see a glimmer of my old self and I find a couple moments of peace. It is just hard to go to sleep being scared of waking up to this feeling again. So I am having a hard time sleeping.

I am unsure if I need something else for the anxiety or if the Zoloft will be enough. I am not sure if I should call my Dr. again or give it a few more days. I miss the days that I didn't have to fight to get through.

I am hoping that by posting on here I will be able to find someone who understands what I am going through and to also let others know that a lot of women suffer with this and that they are not alone.

Michelle 

Re: Hi, I have PPD.

• Options

I hear you and you will be fine. If you've started on the Zoloft, you know from previous experience it will kick in soon!  I know exactly what you mean, I had ppd after our first daughter, I am now pregnant and due at the end of october. I am "hopefully prepared" for what may come. I hear that once you've had PPD, the likelihood of happening again is high. HANG IN THERE!  I recall being on Zoloft for almost a year and some anxiety medication too. Like I said, it helped Immensely. After about a year, i was slowly taken off of all medication. Our daughter is now 4 yr. old and I haven't been on medication in 3 yrs. Again, I am somewhat fearful of what may happen with this coming birth..but, there is help out there with doctors, your friends, family, this board. I hope you have a good support system!!

• Options
    Never hesitated to talk to your doctor.  Zoloft is a serotonin-inducer; it causes your body to create extra seratonin therby making you feel happy which counteracts the depression.  If you are suffering from anxiety in addition to depression, you may need an additional medicine, or a different type of PPD medication.  Good luck ((hugs))
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your supportive reply! It really makes it so much easier when you know people have gone through it too. I hope that you are lucky enough to not have to go through it again when you have your second baby. I am starting to slowly feel more like myself each day. My support system has been really great and I am so thankful for that :)

Do you remember having any weird side effects from the zoloft? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"