Hawaii Babies
Options

BFing class

Many of you new moms may not remember how some of us had so many problems BFing.  For one reason or another, many of us had to stop.   I had no idea how complicated this process was (seems like what people have been doing for generations - how hard can it be?) - but it is.  So many things can go wrong: latching issues, inverted nipples, needing to pump and feed, nipple shields needed - and that's all very overwhelming when you are post partum. 

Just my recommendation, but I think many of the moms would agree that a Breastfeeding class (while still pg) would be very worthwhile to learn about things that could go wrong, could go right, and everything in between!  

Re: BFing class

• Options

and to add to that - take your husband!! 

Having him hear (from an expert) how HARD it could be and other things to expect was so valuable.  The LC teacher also had some tips regarding things to watch out for and what is/is not normal and that gave DH the information he needed to stand strong regarding our personal choice to do/not to do like supplement even with pressure and do immediate (and for a long time) skin to skin contact.  I think he would have been way too overwhelmed to support me while I listened to my instincts in those after birth few days that go by in a blur.

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

and to add to that - take your husband!! 

I agree.  We didn't think it was necessary for him to attend, so I went on a night he worked late.  I wish he had been there.  Next time I even plan to meet with an LC beforehand to discuss some things that went badly for us last time and how we can attempt to prevent it next time. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it could be a great thing to do, as long as the person running it was more honest than any of the LCs I met with.

I had soooo many issues trying to BF and was desperate for help...and instead I was just told over and over and over that the boys' latch was fine (which given their tongue tie issues, I now strongly doubt - but apparently snipping ties = evil and unnecessary), that BFing never hurts even in the early days and even if you have twins nursing every 2 hours, that formula is evil no matter the circumstances, that BFing is natural and easy, etc.

I don't know why they tell people this kind of thing - presumably because saying, "Yeah, this is probably going to be hard at first!" could scare people off, but I think that approach does more damage than good since then when it IS hard, you're overwhelmed and cry and think you're a terrible mother.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm knocking the suggestion, because it's a really good one! Just saying to be careful where you go and make sure your instructor is giving you the full story and not just the feel good bits. Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"