Pre-School and Daycare

Come in if your child is potty trained...

Hi ladies

We are on day 3 of potty training...no diapers except at night.  Our only main issue is that DS is not really telling us when he needs to go.  If we have the potty in whatever room he was in, he tends to go on his own if he has no undies or pants on..  If he is wearing undies/pants, he tends to have an accident.  Here are my questions:

1.  If your child went straight to undies did you have to bring them to the potty on a schedule...like every hour and a half or so depending on liquid intake? (this seems to work for us as I can kind of predict about when he might need to go next)

2.  Was your child able to tell you they needed to pee or poop at first or did that take some time? 

3.  If you left the house in the begjinning phases, did you use underwear and just bring a change of clothes or did you have them wear a diaper?  (Just not sure if the cold turkey thing is the best option??)

4.  Did you use a portable small potty at first or straight onto the big toilet? ( we are using the portable potty, but am concerned that leaving the house and having to use a big toilet will be an issue).

I think DS is doing a good job, but am concerned he isnt saying that he needs to pee (sometimes i think he just plain forgets that he isnt in a diaper or gets lazy about it). 

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Come in if your child is potty trained...

• We spent a couple days with DS#1 wearing no clothes at all.  Then a couple days wearing just undies...and then progressed to undies and a t-shirt.  It took almost 2 weeks before he was really wearing all his clothing at once, because like yours - he often had accidents when wearing underwear.  The biggest chunk of his potty training took those 2 weeks and I'd put him in a pull-up while we were out., but he usually stayed dry.  After those 2 weeks (and maybe an additional few days or so) I felt confident bringing him out without a pull-up.  He would not use a public potty for awhile, but we weren't ever out very long so it wasn't a problem.  Eventually, the public potty wasn't as big of a deal and he began to go while we were out.  I really wouldn't haul around a potty or potty seat, BUT I might change my mind if I had a very young and small child who was potty training. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • I bought the 'Potty Watch' from onestepahead.com.  Our son was potty trained in three days.  He was in underwear all three days.  He told us on the third day that he didn't need the watch anymore and that was that.  I'm going to start our second soon, maybe this winter, and hope it works just as well for him too!
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. We always make him try to go before and after sleep, meals, and trips out of the house.

2. Yes, it takes time. DS has been trained for a little over a month and he still doesn't tell us most of the time.

3. Yes, we always leave the house in underwear. If it's going to be an outing that's longer than two hours, then I take a change of clothes just in case (but he's never had an accident on the go).

4. DS prefers the small portable potty but will use the toilet if needed. He doesn't like to use public toilets though, and will hold it until we go home unless he really needs to go.

• 1.  If your child went straight to undies did you have to bring them to the potty on a schedule...like every hour and a half or so depending on liquid intake? (this seems to work for us as I can kind of predict about when he might need to go next)

We did naked time for 3 days & I would remind them they needed to go or asked them. 

2.  Was your child able to tell you they needed to pee or poop at first or did that take some time? 

It took some time, but most of the time they told me but I still ask them sometimes ; ) 

3.  If you left the house in the begjinning phases, did you use underwear and just bring a change of clothes or did you have them wear a diaper?  (Just not sure if the cold turkey thing is the best option??)

Always brought a change of clothes.  No diaper or training pant - even though with my 2nd son I could do this (such as a long trip around nap time) & he would still prefer the bathroom. 

4.  Did you use a portable small potty at first or straight onto the big toilet? ( we are using the portable potty, but am concerned that leaving the house and having to use a big toilet will be an issue).

Oldest, small potty (yuck), 2nd son to a potty ring on the toilet, & third son - just the toilet.. most of the time forget the ring ; ) 

Good luck! 

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • 1. DS went to pull ups first.  I did put him on the potty every 2-3 hours, about 20 minutes after each meal, and right before bedtime.

2. It took a long time before DS would tell us he had to pee-pee or boo-boo.  I think kids work on their own schedule when they are ready to do that part of it.

3. DS transitioned in pull ups.  Once we started putting him in underwear I just kept a spare of pull-ups and underwear in his backpack along with an extra change of clothes.  We also rewarded him with succers/lolli pops at first and then once he really got the hang of it he was rewarded with stickers.

4. We used a portable small froggie pottie at first and then transitioned him much later to the full toilet with the removable kiddie seat.  When we left the house he would just use the regular size toilets at the stores.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• 1.  If your child went straight to undies did you have to bring them to the potty on a schedule...like every hour and a half or so depending on liquid intake? (this seems to work for us as I can kind of predict about when he might need to go next)

We just kept on asking him. The first day was the hardest. Now he tells us when he has to go. Yesterday, he napped from 5-8PM and asked to go to the bathroom when he got up. 

It took two or three days to consistently tell us.  

Yes. We bring underwear and clothes. An accident last week involved not aiming well enough.  

Both little potty and ring. When we went out, he used the toilet. There was a stool in the bathroom so that helped. About 10 days into training, his Dad showed him how big guys go to the bathroom, so now he stands. 

We still use a diaper for overnight. I have about 40 diapers left and will use them until there's no more. His diaper seems to be less wet as time goes on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"