March 2012 Moms

Suffering from terrible poison ivy...

I was wondering if anybody here has suggestions for relief.  All I've been using is ice and calamine lotion.  My biggest concern is that it keeps spreading.  It's all over my arms, hands and face.  I've had poison ivy in the past, but it has always been in just a spot or two and then clears up.  I wonder if the pregnancy is weakening my body's resistance and causing it to spread.  The itch is keeping me up at night, and it's just absolute torture.  I try my best not to scratch but I do find myself waking up scratching.

I called the OB yesterday and she said it's not harmful for the pregnancy, which was a big relief.  She said that if I must, I can use oral or topical Benadryl.   She also said that if it's really extreme they can prescribe steriods, and it's safe for the pregnancy.  I really want to avoid the medications, but I just can't take much more of this. 

Are there any natural products that you ladies can suggest?

Thanks!

Re: Suffering from terrible poison ivy...

• Take the benadryl woman! I'd use the oral not topical. You can overdose if you use too much topical. Do not use both together! But yeah I'd definitely take the meds.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try an oatmeal bath. Aveeno sells individual packages of it at the drugstore. My husband uses them every time he gets poison ivy.

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepangnl79:

Try an oatmeal bath. Aveeno sells individual packages of it at the drugstore. My husband uses them every time he gets poison ivy.

Good luck!

This. Just don't make the bath water too hot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub is homeopathic and safe for use in pregnancy as long as it's not used internally.  (~$13)

I usually recommend Zanfel for severe cases (I'm a pharmacist).  It's safe for pregnancy and works really fast.  The only downside is that it runs around $30 (at least in my area).  But it's a decent sized tube and will last a while.  If you use either of these 2 scrubs, be sure to read the direction, because they get used incorrectly a lot.  You just put a little in your hand, then add water to make a sudsy/foamy mixture instead of putting the scrub directly on your skin.

As far as the benadryl goes, if you're going to use it, I would use the tablet and not the topical cream.  Oddly enough, many people develop an allergic reaction to the Benadryl when used topically. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the help! I got Tecnu extreme poison ivy scrub and benadryl. The scrub is helping a little (not much) and I keep using the calamine. I've been taking the benadryl and it definitely helps the itch, although I still feel a tiny bit guilty every time I take it. If I don't have significant improvement within 48 hours I'm going to seek out the steroids.

Also- I don't have any pets (except tropical fish) and I have no idea how I got exposed in the first place. I am washing everything I touch with hot water, and I'm praying this doesn't spread any more.

• imagegidge680:

Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub is homeopathic and safe for use in pregnancy as long as it's not used internally.  (~$13)

I usually recommend Zanfel for severe cases (I'm a pharmacist).  It's safe for pregnancy and works really fast.  The only downside is that it runs around $30 (at least in my area).  But it's a decent sized tube and will last a while.  If you use either of these 2 scrubs, be sure to read the direction, because they get used incorrectly a lot.  You just put a little in your hand, then add water to make a sudsy/foamy mixture instead of putting the scrub directly on your skin.

As far as the benadryl goes, if you're going to use it, I would use the tablet and not the topical cream.  Oddly enough, many people develop an allergic reaction to the Benadryl when used topically. 

OMG the Zanfel in my local CVS was $50!  I live in Westchester County, NY, one of the most expensive places to live in the whole country.  I was tempted to try it despite the price, but I decided to start with the Tecnu ($20) and see how it works.

• Burt's Bees makes a poison ivy soap(it is round and green, I believe) that works wonders. I personally am not allergic to poison ivy that I know of, but DH is and swears by the soap. He claims that it works better than Rx cream or steroid injections. Some of my co-workers have taken the suggestion and have agreed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"