LGBT Parenting

35th percentile?

We had our (last!) u/s today and after a loooooong time, waiting for the baby to roll over (like over an hour..) the tech finally got a belly shot and gave us our percentile.  The baby weighs, at 30 weeks 4 days, 2 pounds 15 oz which puts it in the 35th percentile.  At time time I thought - heck yeah!  no big baby head to push out and then.. of course.. hours later... I am wondering if I should have asked a few more questions.

The high risk dr came in and said the baby was 'perfect' for my size (I am 5'1 and petite) and for my weight gain (to date: almost 14 pounds) and I was told I was finished with MFM!  K keeps reassuring me, every time she sees my furrowed brow, that they would have scheduled another u/s to see the progress or said there was concern or something like that and I should just be happy it is little and healthy.  I was just over 6 pounds, at full term myself.   I should just stop thinking about it, right?  They would have had me come back if they were at all worried about the baby..

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 35th percentile?

• Yep, sounds like you and baby are doing fine!
  • Don't stress. Someone has to be 35th% for someone to be 95%.  There is a wide range of healthy weight.

My friend (who is teeny tiny and was high risk for pre-e, and thus heavily monitored during preg) was told right up to her labor that she was having a tiny baby, and when he was born - three weeks early! - he was like a full pound larger than they predicted.

The ultrasound measurements seem so dependable when they are doing them, but a sonogram is like an echo of a picture - so, so, often those measurements are smaller than what the baby actually turns out to be.

Definitley just think of "small head" Smile

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If there was a problem they would have scheduled closer monitoring. My friend had IUGR and they watched her very carefully when it was determined the baby was tiny/not gaining. And as Mrs F said take the u/s measurments with a grain of salt. They told me Ky was weighing in at 7 lbs at 37 weeks when I delivered over 2 weeks later she was a tiny 6 lbs 2 oz...
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would try not to worry. Grayson was born at 4lbs 14oz (at 37w) and was below the 5th percentile and healthy. He continued to remain below the 10th percentile until he was 3y and recently made the big leap to the 30th! :) If the docs were concerned they would not have discharged you from the MFM docs.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image2brides:
    Grayson was born at 4lbs 14oz (at 37w) 

Emme was 4lb14oz too, at 36w5d! Peanuts! 

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Don't worry about it. The MFM wouldn't release you if there was a problem. And FWIW, our babies are 10% and below 3% (IUGR - they didn't give me an actual %, but I know she was only 95g over Extremely Low Birth weight) and are very healthy thus far!
  • FWIW my child was born a toddler. No seriously, she was huge. The entire pregnancy no one thought she was going to be that big. I don't put much stock into the measurements taken along the way, particularly if everything is going well and your doctor seems happy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't worry about it. Like Mrs F. said, someone has to be 35%. Lex was born at about 8lb 2oz at 37wk, so pretty big, but settled into the 20% for weight and she is happy and thriving. Eli on the other hand has always been in the 60 to 70th percentile. Healthy babies are all over the growth curve :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTwo*True:
    FWIW my child was born a toddler. No seriously, she was huge. The entire pregnancy no one thought she was going to be that big. I don't put much stock into the measurements taken along the way, particularly if everything is going well and your doctor seems happy.

It is a good think I swallowed my coffee, or it would have been all over my laptop :)   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"