Pre-School and Daycare
Options

2nd Guessing Pre-School for my 3 yo.

DD will be starting pre-school on August 23rd and I am so nervous about it.  I've always said I would put her in pre-school at 3 years old, but now that the time is here, I am wondering if this is a bad decision.  My MIL and FIL has watched her since she was 6 weeks old, so she has never been with anyone but family.  Are my feelings normal?  Will I get over the anxiety once school starts?

BTW: She will be going to school full-time two days a week (Tues and Thurs). 

ETA: She has socialized with other kids on a daily basis because her 2 cousins (1.5 yo and 5 yo) and her brother (6 mos) are there with her during the day.  Her other 2 cousins (both 9 yo) come over after school and on school breaks, and her older sister (10 yo) is there during school breaks as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2nd Guessing Pre-School for my 3 yo.

• Options
    She'll be fine. She needs to be with other people that isn't family.  That's how she grows and learns.  I couldn't wait to start my kids in school.  Making mew friends, field trips, etc.  DS1 finished prek-3 last year and is starting prek-4 this year, Aug. 29th.  He'll go three days/week for a half day.  Next year he'll go to full on elementary school Kindergarden.  
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options
    I'm sure she will be fine. But at this age, she doesn't NEED preschool.  If you feel you are both ready, then go ahead. If you want to wait another year, there is no reason why that isn't a good decision either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    she'll be fine.  Quite frankly, you are giving her a HUGE advantage by letting her have a year PT to get used to being in a classroom environment, negotiating with a bunch of other kids and single caregiver.  She'll be fine.  DD's been in DC and they start preschool at 3 so she's been there FT.  Totally fine.  Has made a ton of friends there and we have playdates with them which is great.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    It will be good for both of you. IMO, I think it's nice for LO to have the opportunity to learn how to work things out socially while there is still a little less academic pressure. It was one of my reasons for moving my DD earlier. My DD LOVES going and has made many friends. Good luck.
  • Options
    imageKateB1984:

Am I reading this right? Your MIL & FIL take care of 4 young children daily and then 6 kids after school and a total of 7 on school breaks? If so, brave inlaws!!

Yes, you are reading it right.  LOL!!  My nephew (24 yo) and my sister in law (38 yo) is usually there too.  On days that they can't come, my ILs are fine.  They had 14 children in a 19 year span, and raised 4 of their grandchildren, so they are used to a house full of kids.

• Options
    imageRHitch:
    imageKateB1984:

Am I reading this right? Your MIL & FIL take care of 4 young children daily and then 6 kids after school and a total of 7 on school breaks? If so, brave inlaws!!

Yes, you are reading it right.  LOL!!  My nephew (24 yo) and my sister in law (38 yo) is usually there too.  On days that they can't come, my ILs are fine.  They had 14 children in a 19 year span, and raised 4 of their grandchildren, so they are used to a house full of kids.

Wow! It sounds like they're the right people for the job then! 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    imagePhilsWife07:
    imageRHitch:
    imageKateB1984:

They are GREAT with our children.  They also did a fantastic job with their own.  All 14 graduated from high school (on time with no babies), 7 graduated from undergrad, 3 have masters degrees and 1 has a law degree (he now own his own law firm in NC).  They never sent any of their children to pre-school.  My MIL taught all of them at home until they were 5, and they picked up a lot from their siblings.

• Options
    imageRHitch:
    imagePhilsWife07:
    imageRHitch:
    imageKateB1984:

They are GREAT with our children.  They also did a fantastic job with their own.  All 14 graduated from high school (on time with no babies), 7 graduated from undergrad, 3 have masters degrees and 1 has a law degree (he now own his own law firm in NC).  They never sent any of their children to pre-school.  My MIL taught all of them at home until they were 5, and they picked up a lot from their siblings.

That's very impressive! :)

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Well, it might be rough for a couple of days but she'll be fine. My preschool says that they will make sure to call you if the child is inconsolable. They won't let her just be scared and cry all day. The only way to get them used to it is to jump in. I bet she won't have any problems and she'll have to get used to a new environment eventually. And being with kids she doesn't normally see is good for her. Good luck.

I worried about putting mine in pre school b/c she already goes to daycare 3 days a week and is home with me on two days. She's a social little thing. After seeing her so excited after the first day, and every other day asking to go back I knew I made the right decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"